Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

• Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-15-2014, 05:04 AM

O I wish I were movng to a bigger sewing room! How I wish that I had space in my sewing room for about 4 design walls! I have a Jewel Longarm right in the middle and can't get another thing in there. HEHEHE! Anyone want the Jewel????? PM ME!
    I have picked all the fabric or my GI and will post pics this afternoon!
    Old 11-15-2014, 07:11 AM

Your colors are perfect. I want to see the entire quilt when you are finished.
    Old 11-15-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I was out there a few weeks ago and Cozy Quilts was going to be moving sometime in the future. I bet it's getting close - that may be the shop with the pre-moving sale.
    checked the website and Cozy Quilts (El Cajone, San Deigo area) is moving.....the buy 10 yards get 5 yards free is so tempting, could even be 15 different fabrics so long as each is 1 yard..... what a great opportunity to buy a favorite line....sigh.....like that lavender one...............or Tosca ............ sigh......tempting.Thanks IrishNY and Quilt Addict.
    Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 AM

I have had my fabrics ready for so long.....Is it BlackFri yet? lol I have really had a heck of a time waiting on this MQ.I did get some Christmas sewing done and some knitting and chrocheting,BUT I am ready to start this NOW.lol Jo
    Old 11-15-2014, 11:02 AM

Okay, I can't stand it, I'm in. I couldn't resist since I'm originally from Michigan and love Mackinac Island. But I know that I won't be able to do the full quilt so I decided to not make it real scrappy and stick to one fabric for each color. I think I'll start with doing 1/4 of the directions, then if that doesn't work for the design, I'll add more later. I've never done a BH but in looking at her quilts online, a lot of them would work as smaller quilts. Some wouldn't, and if that's the case I'll punt, and hope that I can buy more fabric to match.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498899[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails whitepine%25.jpg  
    Old 11-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine
    Okay, I can't stand it, I'm in. I couldn't resist since I'm originally from Michigan and love Mackinac Island. But I know that I won't be able to do the full quilt so I decided to not make it real scrappy and stick to one fabric for each color. I think I'll start with doing 1/4 of the directions, then if that doesn't work for the design, I'll add more later. I've never done a BH but in looking at her quilts online, a lot of them would work as smaller quilts. Some wouldn't, and if that's the case I'll punt, and hope that I can buy more fabric to match.
    Sounds like a good plan. Nice choice of fabrics.
    Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM

I love your fabric choices, Whitepine. On Easy Street I made half the number of blocks, and ended up with a 3 x 4 block design, which meant I had to make more of some units, but had a bunch of others left over. This time, I'm going to do about 1/3rd and see what I need at the end to fill in. I'd rather make more than have a bunch left over. But since I doing the same as you with one fabric per colour, I set aside enough of each to do the whole quilt "just in case".
    Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
    But since I doing the same as you with one fabric per colour, I set aside enough of each to do the whole quilt "just in case".

This sounds like a winner. I don't have enough of an available stash to pick my fabrics nor the money to buy fabrics right now, so I got the paint cards and am going to print out and save the directions as they post so I can decide if I want to do this later. I did notice while at Lowe's today that the pink that she chose is different than the pink color that was designated Grand Hotel Geranium pink. I picked up that chip as well just in case I liked it better.
    Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 AM

I'm also originally from Michigan but never made it to the island.
    Old 11-16-2014, 04:35 PM

I think I made it over three times. Once as a kid. Once as a young adult and biked around the island. Once when I was older and by then you had to pay to go on the veranda. I never made it during lilac season which is supposed to be spectacular, with some of the lilacs being over 200 years old. When BH started talking about the flower that the hotel is known for I was sure she was going to say lilacs, but instead it was the geraniums on the porch.[ATTACH=CONFIG]499112[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails grand-hotel.jpg