Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop >

On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 AM

I try to surf globally and shop locally. But you're right, with free shipping it's becoming harder and harder to do. (Realize the free shipping has to be made up somewhere, so we may see it folded back into the cost of the fabric.)

I have a few favorite shops that give such good customer service that it's worth the trip. I get lots of good tips and suggestions I wouldn't get online. One shop in particular will order and send me items I see online from other sites. She knows me well enough that she can suggest fabrics that will go with a pattern I'm looking for. Yes, I pay for shipping (It's a 45 min. drive) but at least I feel I'm helping keep the shop going.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 AM

On line and sales. It often comes down to price. I cannot afford LQS prices for everything. As you said, the wallet is getting smaller so I have to pick and choose.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Online for me. One Saturday drove 100 miles at $3.52 a gallon for gass and never found the fabric I could use. Found the 6 yards of fabric and only paid $4.95 for shipping. Gas prices are the culprit that will hurt the LQS.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM

I haven't bought online because I just have to touch it before I buy it. I buy stash buildings from WalMart, HobbyLobby and from JoAnns, and the clearance racks at LQS. usually I have most of what I need for a project, and buy the last minute fill-ins with a coupon or a sale. I can't justify the full prices, no matter what the project. With prices going up, anything I find at a bargain I buy for my stash, just so I'll have it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM

When you shop on line you need to be sure to calculate in the shipping cost before deciding it's a great deal. Because they do not have a store front overhead many online stores can offer deals a store front can't. On the other hand, you can't really get a good feel or look at the fabric- you have to trust it's what they say and can be returned at their expense if it's not.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Most of my shopping is on line, mainly because I use mostly novelty fabrics for children's quilts & the local shops carry very few novelties.
If I see a fabric line that I want I often call the local shops to see if they carry it before I order but they never do.
Maire
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I've done most of my shopping on-line. Seems I get better prices on-line than at LQS. Biggest bonus is free shipping and free returns.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Online as well. Again, for the prices, convenience, AND selections. Also, so many online shops offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount. Even if I factor in shipping, I live in rural Vermont and the nearest quilt store to me is 1 hour, so my gas is more than I'd pay shipping anyways.

I think higher gas prices are not helping the LQS either.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Oh, one thought I forgot to mention (not affiliated with this store in any way)...

Connecting Threads has AMAZING fabrics for really reasonable prices. It took me the longest time to order from them, because my assumption was that any fabric that cost $5 that wasn't on sale had to be bad. This is NOT the case with them. They have great stuff and great prices and great customer service. Guessing by them doing their own fabric lines that they are hurting Moda, RJR, Andover, and other big name manufacturers.

We consumers need to do what we must in order to continue with our love of quilting.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Just remember, if you continue to buy on-line you won't have your local quilt shop. When you need thread, you'll have to buy on-line.
All fabrics are going up, in fact, everything is going up - food, gas, etc. That's just how our economy works.