Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
for quilting instructors - >

for quilting instructors -

for quilting instructors -

Old 03-04-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Sorry we made you feel that way. Most classes are really fun, so try one before you give up on classes.
Yes, you should consider a class or retreat. The teachers here only want you to be aware, and act on the fact, that people are supposed to be adults, not recalcitrant children. Each group of people is different, just try not to be one of the "students" or "teachers" here discussed. You may just be lucky enough to find a wonderful group, but if you do not, you will never know how much fun you may miss.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 PM

Ohh! I have a type of student that the co-student in me has a hard time with.... The one who wants to sit in the front row and is very,....uhhhh... gassy. Seriously, by the time most of us are taking adult learning classes, we have an idea of the foods we don't digest well. A few days away from them is a blessing for all of your class mates.

Has anyone found a delicate way to deal with this one? I'm guessing it's not blurting out "whew! Someone can't handle their eggs!"

Yes, this one's from experience. I actually avoid classes she's going to be in because she's also the loud toots her own horn student.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM

As both a student and a teacher, I recognize myself at times in all the posts! Sorry! But I do like classes that start with structure and instruction, then allow students to move at their own pace with a couple of stops to give further instruction/tips. Most importantly, that classes starts on time and that the instructor is prepped.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What classroom behavior is frustrating/annoying/disruptive to you and/or the other students while attempting to teach a class?

Maybe I shoild reword it -

What is your " ideal" class ( student) behavior like?
The one thing that annoys me is people bashing their ex and going on all the time. Maybe time to see a therapist? I have actually stopped going to class over this. I understand the complains might be real but all this negativism in a class setting is just not right.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 PM

I taught knitting. One of the students had her friend drive her to the class. The friend then sat through the class, although she had no supplies and didn't participate. At the end of the class I was checking out the student who purchased additional supplies. Then I asked the friend if she wanted to purchase the pattern (my design). She said, "No, I'll just copy Susie's." So I said, "Then I'll just charge you for the class." Had she bought the pattern I wouldn't have charged her for the class but the comment about copying the pattern was too much.

I did have a number of positive experiences. My favorite was the young woman who was unsure of herself in the beginning but ended up knitting a beautiful vest for her mother. None of her siblings would believe she did it until she pointed out there was no label. It made her so proud because she told me she'd always been the one in the family who nobody thought could do anything. I think she gained a lot of confidence from what she accomplished in my class.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 PM

All the above annoy me but the worse I met:
went to a class on getting to know your machine. You had the machine and had used it. One lady took up 75% of tutors time. She came with a big box inside her sewing machine unpacked and unopened. She expected the tutor to open the box unpack and show her how to thread etc. oh she didn't bring thread it wasn't in the box.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 AM

I took a class with my guild with well known teacher, it was the most disappointing & frustrating class ever. The teacher was ill prepared, spent most of her time arranging one student's fabric for her. Another class was mostly okay, but the teacher didn't have a class handout. That wall hanging will never be finished because there are no instructions. That really upset me!!! I really wanted to finish at least one block, but the teacher kept saying that it wasn't necessary for us to have a handout.

Last edited by purplefiend; 03-05-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:57 AM

As a student: The instructor who told everyone else that the class was cancelled, except for me, who drove an hour to get there and the teacher who gave us a badly drawn Baltimore pattern and got cranky with me every time I asked her to give me some instruction. I had never done needle turn, did not know about applique pins etc and she wanted to sit in the corner with a cup of coffee whilst I got on with it.

As a teacher: The student who turned up half way through the lesson, got equal amount of time and all the notes given to her and insisted that she should only pay half the lesson fee when they were only being charged $10 per head in any case.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 AM

I got a new computer and the danged keyboard isn't working right!!! Anyhow....I used to teach classes at my local quilt shop, only had one student that was difficult. She kept complaining that her blocks weren't coming out right, she wouldn't take any suggestions, rushed everything; kept saying that it could all be fudged. I finally asked her to please pack her things and go home. The class went smoothly once the drama queen went home. The other 4 students weren't getting anything from the class because of her constant complaining.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: language
Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 AM

When I teach a class what annoys me the most is unprepared students. Students who were supposed to come with their fabric and don't have it etc. Also students who register for a class that is way too advanced for them. Class is meant to be fun so I don't mind some fooling around. But if you fool around a lot don't complain if you don't complete your project in class.
I am teaching a class, a BOM probably starting this summer. We haven't scheduled it yet. It is for Jaybird Quilts , Gravity quilt. I just hope we have fun. They are going to probably list it as a somewhat advanced class.
I can't wait to get my kit.