Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year? >

Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year?

Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year?

Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 AM

No, they don't seem to have a nest in the same spot. The nest is so tiny that I would have missed it had it not been that I was watching the hummingbird. I'd love to see a baby. Up here we only have a handful that come to our feeders. I have relatives in Cookeville & Crossville TN, and they have swarms of hummingbirds at their feeders. They are so fun to watch.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
The formula for the feeders is 4:1. In other words if you use four cups boiling water use one cup of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Let cool, fill feeders, store leftovers in fridge. Do not use honey as it promoted bacterial growth and causes other problems for the hummers.

Do not let this solition set in the feeders for longer than three days as molds and bacteria build up and can kill the little hummers. The feeders should be emptied, washed with soap and HOT water, rinsed, and refilled for another three days of feeding if it lasts that long.

We have seen only about four hummers this year. Have not had the humming, buzzing, dive-bombing as usual.

I too leave food out until about Sept. for the stragglers.

My neighbor usually has 50 to a hundred she feeds but this year she is at her other home in Delaware. Can't imagine why then thay aren't more prolific here at my place since I am feeding them. Oh well, there is lots of summer left.
What kind of soap do you use? How much and how? I would be afraid I wouldn't/couldn't get all the soap out of the feeders. I let the empty feeders soak in bleach water, for tough spots I use a bottle brush where I can reach. The bleach water gets most of it off. I have a lot of pressure on the outside faucet so I hose them off good once they have soaked.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 AM

They are all at my house. The first hummers arrived on April 18th, about a week early.
I have no bees but wasps. I suck them up with an old vacuum wait several days and discard the paper sack. Not recommended for bees since so many disappeared and I like bees.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by mannem
They are all at my house. The first hummers arrived on April 18th, about a week early.
I have no bees but wasps. I suck them up with an old vacuum wait several days and discard the paper sack. Not recommended for bees since so many disappeared and I like bees.
Where are you and how many hummers so you have? I would love to see pictures. The wasps are just dangerous aren't they?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM

One wasp got its revenge by hiding in my car and biting me good while I was doing 60mph. I live in the foot hills of the Rockies in Southern Colorado. There are about 20-25 hummers now. Their population doubles in July after they have their chicks. Although the feeder is emptied fast, I use a strong sugar solution of 2 cups of sugar to 4 cups of water, keeps it from fermenting too fast while it's hanging in the sunshine most of the day. Most ppl I talk to use a solution of 1:4.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by mannem
One wasp got its revenge by hiding in my car and biting me good while I was doing 60mph. I live in the foot hills of the Rockies in Southern Colorado. There are about 20-25 hummers now. Their population doubles in July after they have their chicks. Although the feeder is emptied fast, I use a strong sugar solution of 2 cups of sugar to 4 cups of water, keeps it from fermenting too fast while it's hanging in the sunshine most of the day. Most ppl I talk to use a solution of 1:4.
I use the same mixture for the same reason. We live in a very arid area and the sun is really strong. I have to change the sugar water every 3 days in the middle of summer.
A bottle brush and a few drops of bleach in water, mixed with dish detergent work fine to clean the feeders. I also use a bristle brush to get the little holes they drink through clean. There can be quite a buildup of hummer saliva gets in there and ferments. Just be sure to rinse really well.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 AM

I got an email from my MIL about hummingbirds that was delighttful. I'm going to find it and try to post it here. Be back.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/563362652SwaZIwh

Okay, just tried to get on and it's too popular. Try doing a search for Abagail Alfano Pine, Louisiana. The pictures are there.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 AM

Okay -- been almost 2 weeks, I've changed the syrup every 3 days.....NO hummingbirds!!!! Also, NO other birds at our feeders!!! I have a feeling they've left town!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM

We have several hummers. Also saw the first Oriole of this year yesterday evening, so will need to get the feeder out for them too!!

Patti
Old 06-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
We have several hummers. Also saw the first Oriole of this year yesterday evening, so will need to get the feeder out for them too!!

Patti
We put out grape jelly in bright yellow cups (lids from detergent bottles) and hang them on our feeder poles and the orioles eat the grape jelly - also the summer tanagers eat the jelly. Also have seen some woodpeckers eat the jelly!