Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year? >

Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year?

Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year?

Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 PM

We have had one come to the feeder so far, that we have see. We just saw a Baltimore Oriole on that feeder today. I think they are around, but being sneaky and coming when now one is looking! :D My cat, who is also my avatar, could probably tell lots of bird stories as she sits by the slider and looks out at the yard longer than I do. What a life she has! While I have to go to work! LOL
Old 06-12-2010, 03:10 PM

we have them in Auburn Indiana, and I saw one up north where my sister lives.....not as many as we usually do...but we have them.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Thank you for this post. I usually have a lot of the beautiful hummingbirds here but so far I have only had a couple. I was wondering what happened. I have had feeders for years and take them up in September ( Mu MIL says if I don't then they won't go away for the winter and die). I am giong to use the idea fro the little sacrete pond and put some out like that. As for the little bees, my queen Anne's lace has bloomed and when I go out I can walk by and hear all the buzzing. Theya re so cute. No threat to me. They love the white lace. I also don't have as many robins this year. Usually can't count them there are so many. I love mother nature. Isn't it funny how the "advertisement abouve the quick reply box is for feeders. Modern technology amazes me. LOL
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Thank you for this post. I usually have a lot of the beautiful hummingbirds here but so far I have only had a couple. I was wondering what happened. I have had feeders for years and take them up in September ( Mu MIL says if I don't then they won't go away for the winter and die). I am giong to use the idea fro the little sacrete pond and put some out like that. As for the little bees, my queen Anne's lace has bloomed and when I go out I can walk by and hear all the buzzing. Theya re so cute. No threat to me. They love the white lace. I also don't have as many robins this year. Usually can't count them there are so many. I love mother nature. Isn't it funny how the "advertisement abouve the quick reply box is for feeders. Modern technology amazes me. LOL
I leave my feeders with fresh sugar/water up for 2 weeks longer than I see my last bird. They have to eat every 15 minutes or they will die. I know many people believe taking the feeders down drives the bird forward. If anyone knows that it has been proven true I will take it into consideration. /Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm in San Antonio and we usually entertain many! I haven't seen any either. :(
Old 06-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Can someone give me the ratio of water to sugar for the feeders. Would really appreciate it. I have seen 2 so far this summer at my house in MO.

Sheila
Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM

1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water. I boil the water so the sugar will dissolve better and then let it cool before I put it in the feeder.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

I agree with Dorothy. These birds, like all other birds, depend on your feeding them once you start. I leave my feeders up too for about the same time, just in case there are any stragglers.
I do not think feeding them makes them stay longer. I can usually tell by the change in the afternoon light that it is getting time for them to leave. Plus they eat a lot more for about two weeks before they are going to migrate. They have this internal clock that tells them it is time to go so I don't worry. They have never failed to leave when the time is right.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Please be careful when leaving your sugar water in your feeders more than a couple days. It starts growing molds that are unhealthy for the birds. It is also hard to get out of those little tubes and holes in the feeders (the mold can look black or your water can be cloudy). Molds can and will grow in any temperature. Some are just more visible than others.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM

The formula for the feeders is 4:1. In other words if you use four cups boiling water use one cup of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Let cool, fill feeders, store leftovers in fridge. Do not use honey as it promoted bacterial growth and causes other problems for the hummers.

Do not let this solition set in the feeders for longer than three days as molds and bacteria build up and can kill the little hummers. The feeders should be emptied, washed with soap and HOT water, rinsed, and refilled for another three days of feeding if it lasts that long.

We have seen only about four hummers this year. Have not had the humming, buzzing, dive-bombing as usual.

I too leave food out until about Sept. for the stragglers.

My neighbor usually has 50 to a hundred she feeds but this year she is at her other home in Delaware. Can't imagine why then thay aren't more prolific here at my place since I am feeding them. Oh well, there is lots of summer left.