Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year? >

Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year?

Hummingbirds.......are they visiting this year?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Last summer I was looking out my kitchen window & I was watching a hummingbird at the feeder. All of a sudden it zipped into the big sycamore tree that's in our backyard and landed on a teeny tiny nest. I had never seen one before and would have never noticed it other than just happening to be in the right place at the right time. I kept an eye on it but never did see a baby and I am sorry that I didn't take a picture.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

It was a long summer where I live in Argentina. The hummingbirds visit me every year here for your winter. This year they stayed a little longer then usual. Maybe because it was such a cold snowy winter in the US. Take heart they will be back I am sure.
The last 3 years they have nested here and their babies grow strong on the feeders I have out every year. I found one of their nests after they left last year. It was no bigger then a tablespoon and long and narrow. I could fit the end of my thumb inside the nest. It is true what I heard, they do use spider silk to strengthen the nest. Amazing birds they are and so beautiful.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Has anyone ever seen their nest at your house? Do you have a picture we could see.
Does anyone one know when they nest so we can get our binoculars out and start looking for the nest? Where should we look? Bushes, trees, ????????
I think it is neat for those of you who have them all year round.
dbs, the nest I found last year was made on the end of a piece of wire hanging from my unfinished garage ceiling. The had a bend on the end and one industrious couple made their nest there. Still don't know how they managed it. I did take a picture of it but will be darned if I can find it. Might want to try hanging a couple small wires on a tree limb and see what happens, never know.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
Last summer I was looking out my kitchen window & I was watching a hummingbird at the feeder. All of a sudden it zipped into the big sycamore tree that's in our backyard and landed on a teeny tiny nest. I had never seen one before and would have never noticed it other than just happening to be in the right place at the right time. I kept an eye on it but never did see a baby and I am sorry that I didn't take a picture.
Oh Debbie! But that's alright. Maybe they nest in the same place each year? Do you have binoculars and you can watch? Oh what would it be like to see a photo of a baby hummingbird. I have never ever seen one.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I just came in from watching a hummer in my backyard. I just bought new feeders today. I love watching birds. We also put out food for the finches and morning doves.
I love the idea with the birdbath.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by pennyswings
Originally Posted by dsb38327
Has anyone ever seen their nest at your house? Do you have a picture we could see.
Does anyone one know when they nest so we can get our binoculars out and start looking for the nest? Where should we look? Bushes, trees, ????????
I think it is neat for those of you who have them all year round.
dbs, the nest I found last year was made on the end of a piece of wire hanging from my unfinished garage ceiling. The had a bend on the end and one industrious couple made their nest there. Still don't know how they managed it. I did take a picture of it but will be darned if I can find it. Might want to try hanging a couple small wires on a tree limb and see what happens, never know.
Wow! I am going to do that!! Hope you find the photo.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by pennyswings
It was a long summer where I live in Argentina. The hummingbirds visit me every year here for your winter. This year they stayed a little longer then usual. Maybe because it was such a cold snowy winter in the US. Take heart they will be back I am sure.
The last 3 years they have nested here and their babies grow strong on the feeders I have out every year. I found one of their nests after they left last year. It was no bigger then a tablespoon and long and narrow. I could fit the end of my thumb inside the nest. It is true what I heard, they do use spider silk to strengthen the nest. Amazing birds they are and so beautiful.
This is good information. Today and yesterday I saw only one.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
We have LOTS of hummers at our three feeders - as usual. One thing we do is put chalk on the poles that hold our feeders - but you have to replace it every time that it rains - which has been very often here lately.
Does chalk keep the ants from climbing the poles? Wonder if we rubbed the holes in the feeders with chalk would it keep the bees away or do you think the bees would eat it and get sick?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 PM

I should be so lucky. Chalk doesn't affect ants. It is really just a ground up rock (calcium carbonate which is limestone) and my house is on one huge shelf of the stuff. We have lots of the little buggers. Someone's vaseline idea sounded interesting though. I might give that a try. It definitely is not toxic but with our temperatures it might melt right off a metal surface.

With the bee's suffering colony colapse I encourage every one I get into the gardens. There are fewer and fewer. I still don't know why people are really concerned with the bee thing. We've never had an issue with any of them, wasps included. Now watch, I'll get a problem because I said we've never had one.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:00 PM
tmg

I have only seen 2 hummingbirds this season. We are changing out the feeders with fresh food about ever 2 weeks to keep it fresh.