Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarter Ripe-off >

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 AM

I would go back to my store and complain so loudly, that they get tired of the other customers hearing, that they either give my money back or let me exchange it, i have even made them cut me a new piece. They do do it.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 AM

I have gotten some at 21 some at 22 and some crooked, plus when I figured out the cost of 4 fat quarters which equal a yard, I decided to buy a yard of fabric instead and avoid the hassle and save $.:)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I would absolutely say something to the JoAnn's manager and they should make it right. After all, fabric is money and when you tally up the price for a yard of fabric, that ends up being qui a lot of money. I hope they store will be honorable and do the right thing, especially since one unhappy customer can tell many, many people about how unhappy she is and it's not good Publicity for JoAnn's.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:54 AM

I agree, but remember they buy there FQ from a wholesaler. Also some fabric companies are also cutting the width of the fabric from 44-45 to 40-41. This will also affect the FQ. I know from a LQS I worked at we always give a little extra when cutting for a customer or FQs. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:06 AM

Depending on the store manager, you may get further going to corporate. Honest. That is what customers did in the store I worked and the manager had no choice but to take care of
a problem. Now, that was with the old owners, not sure what will happen new one. Good luck. Everything is shrinking, but if it states measurements, I would think that is exactly what you should receive. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by mic-pa
fabric not longer comes 44"or 45" wide. you are lucky if you get 42" wide. When I plan fabric for a project I figure it to be 40" usable only and never get disappointed. I also only purchase fabric at a LQS. Want to keep them in business.
I'd have to disagree with your first statement, unless you're talking about the low-end stuff available at Joannes or Wally World.

All the high-quality fabric we buy for our store is still coming in at 44/45" (without/with selvedge) with a 1/2 inch selvedge on each side. There are a few exceptions, like the high-end metric fabrics from Japan such as Lecien, that are on slightly narrower goods. But mostly the top brands designed for exclusive sale in LQS's are still on 44/45."

However, I don't know about the more mid-range brands, like Moda, David textiles, Springs Creative, etc, as we don't carry them. Maybe someone else can comment on other various brands.

But I do applaud and thank you for supporting your LQS!!!

:thumbup:
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I bought a big piece of fabric to cover my design wall at my local JoAnn's, several years ago. I had it cut about 8" larger than the board because I wanted to have several inches on each side to pin around to the back. When I got it home, it had been cut so crookedly that there was not enough to cover the board. I took it back and had no problem getting my money refunded, but that store didn't have enough of the fabric (after it had been badly cut) to sell me the size I wanted, so I went to another JoAnn's and got it with no problem.

When the issue is that something you bought is not the size you paid for, I truly believe that your local JoAnn's will have no problem at all in refunding your money, unless you have cut up or washed the fabric. That store should then inform corporate that their FQ shipment was faulty.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Email or call corporate headquarters! Usually the store manager can do nothing about the quality of FQ or even fabric. Joann's had a problem with FQ before and they pulled them from the stores for awhile before they got another supplier. If they do not know about problems then they can not do anything about them. Also I have heard that fabric is noit always 45" wide anymore but closer to 42" so FQ can be smaller.Why are we afraid to complain? Also I "request/Demand" a 10% discount if I have to return to the store to return defective merchandise or have an issue with the price on a receipt. Often the store will give it to me.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
I just brought 6 fat quarters from the JoAnn's Rustling Leaves Collection. The size stated is 18" x 21". I thought a fat quarter was 18" x 22". I am unhappy with the the size, but I am frustrated with the fact that all 6 fat quarters were cut so crooked, that I had to cut 2" off each one in order to use them.

Should I say something to the store manager at JoAnn's about this?

Crooked fabric cost money and less fabric to use.

Mary/stitchengramie
Absolutely say something - I've gotten so that I won't darken the door of any Joanns store. They are not customer oriented at all. Too many issues to mention here, but if you've been on this board long enough you have read plenty of reasons to be upset with this store.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Absolutely say something. If we don't speak up and tell them we will stop buying from them, nothing will happen. I'd also write headquarters and tell them. After all, we ARE their bread and butter.

I didn't even read the above thread when I sent this, LOL