Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt >

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 PM

My grandson, now 11, still has the first quilt I made for him. It is ragged and definitely worn, but he still has it. I have made him (and his two brothers) others since that time, but the "originals" are still around.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM

the camo quilt that i just made for my son for Christmas - he put it in his closet and when I asked why he did that he replied that "it's for good".... ok... ? I told him to please use it because if anything happens to it I can fix it!

so why are people afraid to use them?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

wait..not just the KIDS parents, but get this..I made this quilt for a Colonels retirement..his wife took it and said SOLOMON..that quilt needs to hang on the wall.....WHAT...so two weeks ago he was here visiting and the first he said to me was...I got my quilt in MY recliner...hehehehe
this is the quilt!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299545[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails otha-7.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 PM

MY mil never used anything we gave her - found towels, quilts, etc in her dresser. My family uses them and I mend every time I visit. I love it!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 PM

I always tell people that the quilt is made to be used and washed! As far as I can tell, most of the kids have been using theirs. I know our dd uses her king size quilt on her bed all the time. If they'll use it a little and see how well it holds up after a washing or two, I think they relax and enjoy the quilts more.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM

The way that I see it, is that it is very difficult to let go of something that we have worked so hard to create. BUT, a gift is just that - a gift. We can tell the recipient that it was made for them to use and enjoy, but truthfully, once we "give" the gift, we relinquish any and all control of how that gift is used. That means that whether the quilt is put away and saved, or used on a bed with pets, or even used as a dog bed, we "gave" that quilt away. If the quilt isn't used as you thought it should be, don't gift that person a quilt again. It might really hurt your feelings to learn how your beloved creation is being used, but it isn't really yours any more after you have given it away.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:00 PM

I made my DG multiple quilts while waiting for her to be born. One of them was a Hungry Caterpillar quilt, along with the book. My DDIL uses that quilt for taking the baby out on the grass in her back yard. One of her girlfriends said to her that maybe I would be upset with her for putting the quilt on the grass. I was so proud of my DIL when she explained that I WANTED her to use and love the quilts, and I was so happy to take photos of my beautiful Gabrielle on her "outdoor quilt." This year it also went to the beach as a safe, clean spot for the baby. When I give quilts I include info on how to care for a quilt, and a note saying that I will happily make another if this one is loved to pieces.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
There are a lot of us that put our most treasured items away so nothing happens to them. We need to use them before we are gone and someone sells them for $1 at a sale!
I am glad to buy those quilts at garage sales. If new or gently used, they become bed quilts; if used with holes or frayed places, they get remade into something that will be used ... table runners, placemats, teddy bears, etc.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM

I would feel honored to have a quilt I made hanging on the wall as a way to decorate her room. At least it wasn't put away somewhere. Evidently she loves the quilt!
Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Yes I made one for the neighbor girl and she loved it so much wanted to put it on her wall to decorate the room- I told her I would walk into the house , take it down and take it home ! I made it to be used and loved - and if it wore out I could make another one
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Ten years ago a neighbor asked me to make an album quilt to be used for a family reunion auction. She gave me lots of family photos and certificates including baptismal and immigration records going back to 1851. I printed them onto fabric, pieced it ala Ami Simms, finished it in time for their reunion. It was auctioned off and won by a cousin who bought just one ticket. More than $1,000 was raised to be used for the next reunion. The quilt and care instructions were given to the cousin all safe and sound in a cotton pillow case.
One year later, my neighbor called to tell me the cousin's house had burned down and there was nothing left. She added that the cousin never used or displayed the quilt, it was still in the closet where she had placed it the year before. It wasn't my quilt anymore, but I still felt bad for the relatives, who bought a lot of tickets but didn't win the quilt, never got the chance to enjoy having it. The cousin's reason for not
using/displaying the quilt? She didn't have room on any walls to hang it except for the bedroom and since her parents' pictures were on the quilt she didn't want them to "see" what she did in the bedroom. Sad but true story.