Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt >

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 AM

i make quilts to be used too but each person has a right to do with any gift you give them as it is not yours anymore
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
WHAT!!! No, let her use the quilt I want her to enjoy it. Play with it, cuddle up with it, go to sleep with it. If you really want a quilt for her that you cherish and not allow her to use I will make you another quilt, but don't take away the one I made "just for her".

This was the conversation I have with my sister after Christmas. Has anyone else else experienced a conversation like this?? I make these quilts to be used and loved, not put away in a hope chest never to be seen again for 40 years.
I am like you,Please tell your sister her child will only be a child for a short time,We are adults for a long time by the grace of our GOD.You can make her another one if you like for a wall hanging or what ever.That one is to be used by your niece thats what you made it for wasn't it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 AM

Your exactly right, I made the quilt for my niece!! My family (last 3 generations), have always saved everything precious to them~tucked away in Cedar chests only to be brought out when wanting to reminisce. I wasn't surprised when she told me this which is why I offered to make one for my sister for my niece. That way if she wanted to put it away not to used that would be her choice. My niece is only 3 so the decision is up to my sister unless i can do anything about it.

Originally Posted by Weenween View Post
I am like you,Please tell your sister her child will only be a child for a short time,We are adults for a long time by the grace of our GOD.You can make her another one if you like for a wall hanging or what ever.That one is to be used by your niece thats what you made it for wasn't it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 AM

I know I hate it when the recipient of my quilts does not use them, but "saves" them for good.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
I make sure to tell them that it's 100% machine washable and that washing it makes is softer and more loveable.
That's what I do too!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 AM

I have never had this conversation, but I did have just the opposite happen. I sent a baby quilt to my niece when my great-neice was born a year ago. About a month ago, I was looking a some photos my niece had posted on facebook and to my utter delight, there in the middle of the baby's play area was my quilt, spread on the floor. It made my day.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:23 AM

I make sure to tell anyone I give a quilt to that it is to be USED!!!! Sometimes the reaction is one of horror, but I reassure the recipient that it's 100% cotton, can be washed, and can be replaced if necessary!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Unless it is made to be a wall hanging, my quilts are made to be used. I received a baby quilt for my son when he was born and we used it, I have kept it, but still need to patch one little worn spot for it's next user.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Yes I made one for the neighbor girl and she loved it so much wanted to put it on her wall to decorate the room- I told her I would walk into the house , take it down and take it home ! I made it to be used and loved - and if it wore out I could make another one
My DD received a wallhanging and a baby quilt as gifts from a very good friend of mine when our DGD was born in June, 2011. Right now both are on the wall and they are gorgeous. DGD is fascinated by the colours. Once DD and her hubby are no longer concerned about blankets covering DGD's face, the quilt will be used but in the meantime, it's being enjoyed every day, just like the wallhanging.

Whether it's on a bed or a wall, it's being enjoyed either for warmth or as art and the love that went into it (them) is felt ... and it's NOT in a closet!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 AM

I tell my recipients this quilt is to be used-and well used! LIFETIME warranty on any repairs needed. I don't mind if they are hung as a wall decoration-I do that myself with some of my quilts to show them off!!