Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt >

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 AM

I knew a lady who saved all her pretty stuff in a hope chest, she would take it out and look at it and show me a few things and then put things back. It was sad to see all those things just put away, she passed a few yrs later and I often think of how she should have enjoyed using those fancy towels and such. I never forgot that, I intend to use whatever I have.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:31 AM

Yep. hear tht all the time too and sadens me. I tell them if the dont use it the Quilt Fairy will come, take it, and give it to someone who WILL use it! Every quilt I give away I say just wash it with towels when it gets dirty and it will be fine!

Gat at work got married. MIL gave them a hand quilted quilt. She put in the cloest. I told her, her MIL did not give it to her to have it stored in a closet. She said too pretty to use. I said if you don't want it on your bed, put it onthe back of your sofa. The quilt needs to be appreciated for the work that went into it!!! Saw her a couple weeks later saying she thought about our discussion and the quilt is now on their bed. Some people CAN be taught!!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 AM

100% agree! I made my 8 yr old GS a "Chicago Bull" quilt for Christmas. He loved it and said, "WOW! Dad we can take it to a game!" Dad said, "No! It is to special and should just go in your room." I told Zach to take it anywhere he wanted because it is his. When I give a gift I give it totally...no strings and no rules attached!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 AM

My sister picked out her colors - white (lots of it) with pink, green blue - this was a very girly look - she told me she would put it away so her cats wouldn't mess it up. I told her the same - use it -if it wears out - I will make a new one. Also, that is what washing machines are for - I know my mom always had the attitude that you put things up and only bring them out for special events - but I say - every day is special use it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post

I recently made a zebra and bright pink baby quilt for a girl at church.
I LOVE this quilt! Girly pink, but with some pizazz. Brilliant.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 AM

I tell my boys to use them...and yes your dog can cuddle with you under your quilt...I am getting beter and better and I would love to make you another one in a few years...and than another...and yes I use china every day...life is too short not to enjoy the things we have.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 PM

I made a double wedding ring for my parents 60th wedding anniversary and my mom keeps it in her closet folded! UGH...I told her at least I will get it back one day and I will use it. All that work is so frustrating.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I definitely want my quilts used, but in my mind, having it on the wall as the centerpiece of the room's decor counts as being used, and I would be fine with that if it's how the recipient wanted to use a quilt I made them. Many of my quilts have a hanging sleeve sewn into the binding to make that option easy.
I absolutely agree. If someone chooses your work of art as the focal point of their personal space - I don't know how it could be more used than that. Pat yourself on the back, Picasso.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 AM

When I make a quilt for someone I always including washing instructions with it and tell them it's to be used. Not looked at. When I make one for myself as soon as it comes off the machine and out of the dryer I'm using it. There's nothing better than to cuddle up on the couch with it along with one of my 4 legged babies and a good book.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 AM

My mil made twin size hand quilted and pieced sun bonnet sue quilts for both my children. She gifted them with the words, don't let the cats on them. We have always had cats. They have been in the closet for 20 years. It does make me sad. They have been too big to hang to be seen well. One has been put on a guest bed. I often wish they have been crib size.