Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting? >

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM

I purchased fine sand paper at Lowes -- glued a piece to each side (inside) of a manila folde -- I now have a portable sand board to take to classes or bee's. I use empty paper toilet rolls to wrap my binding on. Put a ribbon through it and hang it around my neck. I bought a shoe bag that hangs on the door, it holds all my stabilizers. Empty wrapping paper rolls are used for me to roll blocks on when I take them to show and tell. Empty Crystal light containers hold my used rotary blades. Purchased Snap bracelets from Oriental trading --- put them around stabilizers, etc and label them with a sharpie.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Cans, plates, bowls of all sizes to make a template. Empty face cream (Olay for example) jars to store good, soon to be used again, machine needles, and an empty blood strip container to store bent, ruined needles that will be tossed.

A small ratchet type screwdriver for removing the face plate.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM

I use these to store UFOs, it's big enough to store all the fabric and pattern.

Originally Posted by Mimiqwerty View Post
I use the clear zippered bag that sheet sets or blankets come in to store scraps. It's clear so I can see everything inside, and the zippered top keeps my fur babies from "playing" with the scraps. I find that I can really scrunch a lot of scraps into one of these.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I purchased fine sand paper at Lowes -- glued a piece to each side (inside) of a manila folde -- I now have a portable sand board to take to classes or bee's. I use empty paper toilet rolls to wrap my binding on. Put a ribbon through it and hang it around my neck. I bought a shoe bag that hangs on the door, it holds all my stabilizers. Empty wrapping paper rolls are used for me to roll blocks on when I take them to show and tell. Empty Crystal light containers hold my used rotary blades. Purchased Snap bracelets from Oriental trading --- put them around stabilizers, etc and label them with a sharpie.
What is the sand paper for?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:06 PM

I use a cleaned-out coffee creamer container (like the Coffee Mate ones with the red top, or International Delight with a blue top) to hold water for my iron. The containers are spill-proof, which is great since I'm constantly knocking them off the ironing board.

I use the clear plastic cutting mats that you can buy (usually 2 or 3 to a package) at the Job Lot or dollar stores, to make bottoms for handmade purses. If you want a thicker, more rigid bottom, you can cut several and stack them together before slipping them into the fabric pocket at the bottom of your purse.

I use empty Altoids tins for just about everything... I have one for each type of hand-sewing needle, and I also use them for pins and bobbins.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 PM

I made a queen size quilt all in my parent's hospital and nursing home rooms. It started in a class in August 2011, a Crazy Curves piecing class. I continued sewing the pieces together in my dad's nursing home room, but of course he didn't have a roommate at the time so that made it easier. I would roll my machine in and out from my house to car to room back to car. It usually stayed in the car until the next day due to the long hours at the nursing home. Then when he went to the hospital, he had a nice large room (intermediate care) with a lounge chair and nurses kept asking me if I was going to spend the night which I said no. Next day I rolled in my Viking Diamond Deluxe and started sewing the rows together! I had all but the last 3 or 4 rows to add so it sat in the bag again until 5 months later he went back to the hospital where I then finished the rows. He came back to nursing home and my mother was his roommate by then. As he watched TV in the wing's living room, I spread the backing, batting and top on the floor and pinned it together! Then back in the bag it went. He passed away this past October, and then in January my mother had a stroke and was in the hospital for 15 days in the VIP room with not only a lounge chair, but a small dining room table set with four chairs, and a two seater sofa that extended lengthwise to a bed. My brother and I took turns spending the night, me usually two nights in a row, as I was now quilting the Crazy Curves quilt day after day! I finished the quilting the day before my mom was released and she came back to the nursing home with no roommate, so I finished the binding in her room. I also have a second quilt, exploding pineapples, which is all pinned together for quilting which I plan to do at my mom's as well. I am just telling you that you can spend time with your parents and witness their care while you piece, quilt, sew.

Last edited by vschieve; 06-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful story, VSCHIEVE!
.......... and now I think you should show us the quilt!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM

After reading all these wonderful tips, I don't have much to share! My needles for embroidery, needlepoint etc. I put in the empty mechanical pencil tubes. They are small, and keep the needles dry, which is a big problem down here near Houston. A lady in one of my quilt classes uses pipe cleaners to join a spool of thread and bobbin together. I have a magnetic strip (from IKea) that is used to put up papers, I post it near my machine, and I can put different ideas for quilting motifs right there to inspire me to do different things when I free motion. I also use the metal organizer things with drawers to organize. I have 3 within handy access of my sewing machine. I have labeled each box and they have things like measuring tape, needles Machine, needles hand, screw driver,binding clips, needle threaders, etc. the larger drawers below hold scissors, rotary cutters, thread snips. I also keep my bobbins in several boxes, one for empty's, one split for black, and white, another for grey, and whatever color you choose. (I keep the bobbins filled most of the time, it really saves frustration when working on a project and you need 1 more bobbin to finish!)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Different size cups and plates for round applique or for scallops on the edge of a border.
You mean there's another way? tee hee
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by vschieve View Post
I made a queen size quilt all in my parent's hospital and nursing home rooms. It started in a class in August 2011, a Crazy Curves piecing class. I continued sewing the pieces together in my dad's nursing home room, but of course he didn't have a roommate at the time so that made it easier. I would roll my machine in and out from my house to car to room back to car. It usually stayed in the car until the next day due to the long hours at the nursing home. Then when he went to the hospital, he had a nice large room (intermediate care) with a lounge chair and nurses kept asking me if I was going to spend the night which I said no. Next day I rolled in my Viking Diamond Deluxe and started sewing the rows together! I had all but the last 3 or 4 rows to add so it sat in the bag again until 5 months later he went back to the hospital where I then finished the rows. He came back to nursing home and my mother was his roommate by then. As he watched TV in the wing's living room, I spread the backing, batting and top on the floor and pinned it together! Then back in the bag it went. He passed away this past October, and then in January my mother had a stroke and was in the hospital for 15 days in the VIP room with not only a lounge chair, but a small dining room table set with four chairs, and a two seater sofa that extended lengthwise to a bed. My brother and I took turns spending the night, me usually two nights in a row, as I was now quilting the Crazy Curves quilt day after day! I finished the quilting the day before my mom was released and she came back to the nursing home with no roommate, so I finished the binding in her room. I also have a second quilt, exploding pineapples, which is all pinned together for quilting which I plan to do at my mom's as well. I am just telling you that you can spend time with your parents and witness their care while you piece, quilt, sew.

Sorry your parents have had so many health issues. Great way to use your time---------doing what you love with the people you love.