Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting? >

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by yorkie luv View Post
What is the sand paper for?
Yorkie luv, a sand board is used in appliqué when you trace a pattern onto fabric. If you put the fabric on fine sandpaper, it won't move as your marking tool moves around the shape and your tracing is much more accurate.

Pete, I learned the same trick at an appliqué class. Very handy tool for tracing!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Safety pins taped to the sewing machine at stragic spot are great add on thread guides.

A Lateral file holder holds many of my templates.
My lateral file holder houses all of my rulers and smaller quilting frames as well! I used to keep them all in a drawer, but now I just reach over and grab what I need. Very handy!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 AM

I am amazed at how resourceful all of you are! Thank you for sharing so many incredible ideas.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Here's something I do...of course you have to have allergies bad enough to need a prescription! I do! The little green clip is to keep the tip from compressing when you carry it in your purse. Not anymore!
Attached Thumbnails nasel-spray-2.jpg   bobbin-buddy-2.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM

When I FMQ I put two door stops under the back of my machine to tilt it forward. I can see better this way.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 AM

I use empty "wet Swiffer" containers for my supplies and small stuff. They are long, narrow and stack on top of each other. There are even different heights available. I also use plastic Ziploc snack bags for thread and wound bobbins. I keep my threads in a large basket. Each snack bag can contain 3 spools of thread with bobbins. I sort by color and make the rule that nothing sharp goes in the basket. So I can dig away safely. I also use an artist's paint brush to collect lint in the feed dog area. The natrual bristles attract the lint.

Last edited by toverly; 11-08-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:20 AM

"Baby" ponytail bands (soft chenille like fabric) to put around individual bobbins to keep them from unraveling ($1.00/100 at Dollar Tree); Scotch brand removable tape (in the blue plaid dispenser) for taping paper patterns together after ripping mistakes (remove prior to ironing); small (1") soft paintbrush to clean my machines; coffee mug to store pens, pencils and 6" straight rulers; Altoids tins for the long quilting pins; 3 hole binder with plastic sleeves to keep my machine manual handy); flat TV table to put my small ironing board on (same height as my sewing table); ziploc bags for finished blocks; Rubbermaid totes for fabric; coffee can sized can for my threads, smidges and unusable fabric bits; a large cork bulletin board to hang my pattern, notes, a "sample" block of the current project, fabric snips, photos of family, etc. hanging over my sewing table; and a hard sided, zippered pencil case to hold the necessities (scissors, threads, needles, 6" ruler, pen, pencil, rotary cutter, etc.) for when going to a class or traveling.

I'm sure if I thought about it, I'd come up with more.

Anita
Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Ahahaha moment. The only problem is that I use the retractable leash for my doggie. Maybe I can find another one on Craigslist.

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
I have a regular ironing board (for now) and I was SO tired of my iron cord messing up my nice pressed fabric as I worked my way across the board so I figured out a solution. I secured a retractable dog leash to the top of my bookcase and put the iron cord through it. Now the cord is up higher and retracts and moves with my ironing. Frustration is the mother of invention!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 PM

I use a "wallpaper" brush, that I bought at Target for a dollar, to swipe off my cutting mat. It gets rid of those big and little threads that are always left over from trimming blocks. I use my seam ripper for my "pointy thingy", and I use several Christmas tins for scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, and anything else I want to get out of the way. My girlfriend made me one of those cup inserts that has several little pockets, that I put small rulers, markers, pencils and small scissors in.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:04 AM

Love this thread. I use empty plastic bags which originally hold bedding etc and have zips and handle. They are great for storing individual projects and you can see what's in.
Upside down frisbee is great for placing things on when working.