Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2018 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 07-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Okay, out of the 12 inch orphan blocks I have pulled 9 that are similar color think I will do a 3 or 4 inch sash in black with small stars of white as corner stones and maybe a flying geese border for a lap quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597052[/ATTACH]

These 4 I think will look okay as a table topper not sure what for sash or binding yet probably something green.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597053[/ATTACH]

And these 3 that I will put a border of black on them and then sash with cobweb fabric for a Halloween table runner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597054[/ATTACH]

This is my goal for July, lets see what actually happens. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails dsci4065cc.jpg   dsci4064cc.jpg   dsci4063cc.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Very pretty blocks! I am really intrigued with that cube in the center of your first picture.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like you've got a plan Dedemac! My suggestion on the 9 gray toned blocks is to bring the upper left hand corner block down into the lower right hand corner for more color balance. You could also put a narrower sashing on them then set the whole 9 block unit on point. With the four corner setting triangles it would be about +50" square. Another border and it could be made larger. Just a thought.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:13 AM

Nice finish Kristakz!

Dedemac- great plan(s) to usse up orphan blocks and also have 3 July finishes!

I’m still trying to figure out which UFO to work on LOL!

Rob
Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Connie - the block is the Hollow cube or Hollow tumbling block, I think I googled the instructions, I remember there was a thread here on the board a few years ago that gave me the inspiration.

Okesewglad - I had them spread out, but wanted this one to kind of be gradient in dark to light block corner to corner. I don't tend to do blocks set on point often. I have a bias on bias cutting. But I am getting better with not stretching the fabric. I do see another border of some kind in this one.

Rob - Yes plans, but we all know about best laid plans of mice and men. We'll see what I get done. I can send you a few of mine if you want to work on them. Instant finish for me!
Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Dedemac: Thanks for the name of that block. I will look it up.

I am finishing an 'almost UFO.' I started it over a year ago but the last block wasn't given until September. I should have the top finished tonight or tomorrow. It has given me fits because of the on-point border. I will be donating it as a top to my church group.

I plan to finish my En Provence as my next UFO. I went to look for it last night and could not find my sewn parts. When I got up this morning, I told myself 30 minutes max to look for them. I knew where the fabric boxes were with the fabric I used but I couldn't find the parts. I gave up and kept my eyes open for the box I thought they were in and, lo and behold, I happened to look at a shelf with my current BOW's and saw a box hidden underneath them. There it was! The box was labeled also! I just didn't think to look under those boxes. LOL!

I need to do step 7 which means I need to make more blocks. UGH! I will start that later this week.

Have a great 4th of July and stay safe.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Dede, I did notice the dark to light configuration. Yes on point and bias can be tricky, but sometimes putting on point makes a block look more complicated than it actually is!

I declared 2018 the year of the triangle last winter...now making some HST units with waste triangles. I have a large pile of light colored ones all the same fabric which were given to me...should be interesting to see how these turn out...so I'm creating another quilt instead of UFO...but I do have a plan.

Have a safe 4th!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Connie - the block is the Hollow cube or Hollow tumbling block, I think I googled the instructions, I remember there was a thread here on the board a few years ago that gave me the inspiration.

Okesewglad - I had them spread out, but wanted this one to kind of be gradient in dark to light block corner to corner. I don't tend to do blocks set on point often. I have a bias on bias cutting. But I am getting better with not stretching the fabric. I do see another border of some kind in this one.

Rob - Yes plans, but we all know about best laid plans of mice and men. We'll see what I get done. I can send you a few of mine if you want to work on them. Instant finish for me!
...and I could hold them til next month and send them back for my August finishes! What a great idea

Rob
Old 07-04-2018, 02:18 PM

My UFO pile has not been touched at all this year. Unfortunately, I have added to the pile .............. lol .... But I did get my Allietare quilt back from my longarmer last week and yesterday I put the last stitch on the binding. Whooohooo a UFO finish!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597196[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0701.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:04 PM

Sync: Beautiful and congratulations!

I got my first block sewn for BH En Provence. Only 15 more to go!