Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ugly colors/motivation >

Ugly colors/motivation

Ugly colors/motivation

Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM

I decided to sew a crib quilt for friends of mine that are having a baby boy. She appreciates traditional things, so I decided to go with an easy nine patch. (Yes, I now have two crib quilts going...). I asked to see what the nursery is going to look like so I could coordinate. She and Hubby have decided on Olive Green and Mustard Yellow. I know different stroke for different folks, but I gotta say the room is a little extreme. But it is their choice. So I went and found flannel on Fabric.com (thanks for the tip guys) But I have not been able to bring myself to buy it. I found some striping and a yellowish jungle pattern to break it up but still.

What are the worst colors you have sewed with and did you get a total headache while doing it?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't try to match kid's quilts to the bedroom. I want them to take their quilt with them everywhere. That being said, olive green & mustard yellow remind me of army camo colors. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I know it's hard to make something when you don't like the colors.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 AM

I recently made a blanket for some neighbors who are expecting their third girl. I figured maybe they were feeling done with pink, so I inquired about colors to the grandparents. I was told the nursery was yellow and green with a bit of purple.

I was so uninspired, and it was actually hard to find fabric that would work with those colors. I finally managed, and it came out far better than I would have thought, but I'm glad it's done.

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-214182.jpe  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by everbtrue
I don't try to match kid's quilts to the bedroom. I want them to take their quilt with them everywhere. That being said, olive green & mustard yellow remind me of army camo colors. Good luck!
She did the nursery rather late in the pregnancy, and I am wondering if the hormones have messed with her eyesight.
I understand not wanting the traditional Blue, but.....eewww.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

"What are the worst colors you have sewed with and did you get a total headache while doing it?"

Anything brown and with ditsy 1970s calicos, UGH! No headache, but it was a force to the finish.

Good luck on your own headache.

Jan in VA
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
I recently made a blanket for some neighbors who are expecting their third girl. I figured maybe they were feeling done with pink, so I inquired about colors to the grandparents. I was told the nursery was yellow and green with a bit of purple.

I was so uninspired, and it was actually hard to find fabric that would work with those colors. I finally managed, and it came out far better than I would have thought, but I'm glad it's done.

Here's a pic:
that is a beautiful quilt. I am glad to hear someone else was feeling uninspired but still got something gorgeous done.

I am going to make the stripes with the red in there a big border on the quilt and just go for it. Mustard yellow and all!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17339-1.htm
Check this quilt out and maybe you can adapt colors to match their theme colors.
Originally Posted by mizunogirl
I decided to sew a crib quilt for friends of mine that are having a baby boy. She appreciates traditional things, so I decided to go with an easy nine patch. (Yes, I now have two crib quilts going...). I asked to see what the nursery is going to look like so I could coordinate. She and Hubby have decided on Olive Green and Mustard Yellow. I know different stroke for different folks, but I gotta say the room is a little extreme. But it is their choice. So I went and found flannel on Fabric.com (thanks for the tip guys) But I have not been able to bring myself to buy it. I found some striping and a yellowish jungle pattern to break it up but still.
Add a brown with the colors, and it is your quilt, babies grow and maybe you can make one that is for toddler. Add bits of colors along with these colors and you should find something you like.
What are the worst colors you have sewed with and did you get a total headache while doing it?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM

I like everbtrue's approach. Make a fun quilt that the baby can drag everywhere and enjoy. You'll have fun, the baby will have fun, everyone wins.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 AM

i agree that to each their own but I think that mom and dad are a little out there with the color choices. maybe they want it to be more of a grown up nursery so that they don't have to change much when the baby gets older. if you are making the bedding I would take mom and show her some FQ combos of what you would like to do in the color scheme of the room. sometimes seeing the actual fabrics together can change a moms mind about color combos. maybe go with a softer yellow and green combo that is not so 70's or grates on your nerves. I know a few moms who when they actually got the nursery together they completely changed the color scheme and went in a different direction. maybe look at some batiks. it might help.