Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ugly colors/motivation >

Ugly colors/motivation

Ugly colors/motivation

Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Maybe pick the color you like better (or dislike less, as the case may be ;)) and use it as the main color, and just use the other color as a small accent? Maybe with a plain neutral (off-white would look nice with those colors) as a filler if you want more variety? I don't know, olive and mustard don't sound so bad to me, but I know my color tastes run a little different.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
I recently made a blanket for some neighbors who are expecting their third girl. I figured maybe they were feeling done with pink, so I inquired about colors to the grandparents. I was told the nursery was yellow and green with a bit of purple.

I was so uninspired, and it was actually hard to find fabric that would work with those colors. I finally managed, and it came out far better than I would have thought, but I'm glad it's done.

Here's a pic:
My first thought was...UGH. That shows how much I know. :roll: Love the quilt and color combo!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM

"My first thought was...UGH. That shows how much I know."

That was my first thought, too -- wished I'd kept my mouth shut and went with pink for the third time. But it all worked out in the end!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Choose one of the colors only, then mix it with one or two others.

Or ... choose a print with a mostly ivory or white background that has olive green and/or mustard in the print. Then use one of the two colors for the other color in the patch.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 AM

Olive green and mustard yellow? EW!!!!!!! willferg's turned out pretty nice though. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 AM

I just bought the material. I went with a green argyle pattern for the backing...it will be a manly toddler quilt for a little boy!!!! I have a funny feeling the Mom will eventually- within about 1-2 years, repaint the nursery. But for now. Jungle animals, and mustard yellow abound. At least I had a coupon code at Fabric.com
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM

I would find some gorgeous batiks in those shades and add some chocolate brown to keep it earthy. How about a disappearing nine patch with the chocolate colour as the center square so you would have those little pops of chocolate throughout?

Oops...see you already bought your fabric....oh well....have fun!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 AM

yes...I managed to find a combo I think will be pretty fun, I will post when I get a few blocks done. In the end all that matters is that Mom is happy. They live up North so deep down I hope that a nice warm flannel quilt will become his favorite, and who dislikes lions and elephants and monkeys?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
"What are the worst colors you have sewed with and did you get a total headache while doing it?"

Anything brown and with ditsy 1970s calicos, UGH! No headache, but it was a force to the finish.

Good luck on your own headache.

Jan in VA
ROFL :lol: I love brown and 70's calicos!

Isn't it good that we are all different? If we all like the same fabrics our quilts would all look alike.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Olive green and mustard yellow would seem ugly to me too.

I would get a FQ of both an olive print and a mustard yellow and use a little of it. Then I would get other shades and tints of the green and yellow that will blend, along with some neutrals. It could end up being pretty and with just a small amount of olive and mustard, if she changes colors it will not be so glaring.