Spelling

Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM

It is interesting to know there is a spell check on this program. Sometimes I type real fast and that means I make a mistake.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 AM

I came to America as a young woman and learned to speak "queens english" to be understood.
I could write well but had a strong accent...... I have been made fun of many times ....
I was brought up to respect ALL people and to learn from them and never to make people feel badly because of their race or ethnicity etc..
Is that not what we quilters are all about..... respecting each other, learning from each other and enjoying each others diversity
Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 AM

I have a free spell check that works well for me...www.iespellcheck.com. It works everywhere just fine, on any web site where you might want to post. It is easy to get, safe and works great. I could not find the formating menu bar. I still find the new site quite confusing. However what grates on my nerves in regards to spelling is not misspelling but misuse of homyns....a boarder is someone who pays to live in a house or is getting on something....a border is an edge of some thing, like the part that goes around the edge of a quilt. Although there may be other uses of these words I have not mentioned if a boarder is on a quilt the it means he or she is sitting on it. Then there are the no such words....it is always "regardless" irregardless is not a word. I guess I am sensitive to grammar and words ever since I read "Language in Thought and Action" years ago and realized that words have real power, both for change and how the speaker is perceived. The meaning and context of words can bless or damn you in the mind of the listener. Having said that I realize language is a living evolving entity. Using "u r rht" instead of "you are right" in text messages and such is bleeding over into more traditional writting...if you are familiar with cyber speak just remember not all of us are and you might be judged ignorant when you are merely being trendy.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 AM

What I have a problem with is those abbreviations: LOL, DH, ISO etc. Maybe the Board could publish a list of those and their meanings.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Keep it in perspective...this is supposed to be fun!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

I didn't realize we were being tested on vocabulary, punctuation, spelling. I am an English Major and I probably screw up more than most because I am always in a hurry. I run a small business, take care of my disabled son, raising a 12 yr. old granddaughter, I'm a quilter and I am 73 yrs. old. I am lucky to find time to get on here and jot off a few. Now, if you can' t understand what I am writing, please PM me. I will get back 2 u wen I can. I find it a challenge sometimes to read replies, but that is the beauty of the board. At least we all come here for help or to help and that is the most important aspect of this board. Keep doing what you have always done, it's beautiful.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Morag View Post
I came to America as a young woman and learned to speak "queens english" to be understood.
I could write well but had a strong accent...... I have been made fun of many times ....
I was brought up to respect ALL people and to learn from them and never to make people feel badly because of their race or ethnicity etc..
Is that not what we quilters are all about..... respecting each other, learning from each other and enjoying each others diversity
I moved from Missouri (which I pronounce as Missourah) to California 12 years ago. I still have an accent and while I don't get made fun of, people always want to know where I am from. As for typing, I always seem to make the errors that spell check ignores. Form and from is my "favorite" reversal. I read the post for fun and my own edification. I grade papers for accuracy and spelling. I try not to confuse the two.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't think you are being critical at all. Usually I can figure things out by a few words. There have been a couple of times that things don't make any sense, and I just skip the post. I read for enjoyment and why be frustrated over something you can't understand?

I have more problems with posts that are typed in all capital letters. My eyes go wonky and it ruins the fun for me. It is better to just skip over them and enjoy the other posts.

Last edited by Sadiemae; 12-16-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I'm so sorry for those of us who can't tolerate when people make mistakes in spelling and grammar. I for one use the Google tool bar spell checker. But not everone speaks English and I for one speak HillBilly. I don't have a grammar checker, sorry about that. Please learn to be more Tolerate in 2012. This will be my prayer for the board.
I also use the Google tool bar spell check and one thing I like about it is that you can teach it to recognize "new words" such as BOM. I do not think it is intolerant to express an opinion that misspelling is jarring. Spelling and grammar were a fundamental part of my education. I find today's casualness unfortunate. English is very difficult language. For my generation, writing was a form of communication that said I want you to understand me and I want to understand you and I am willing to spend the time doing it. I certainly understand that is not what goes on today where so many go fast, fast, faster. That is the privilege of the individual as is expressing a point of view. My impression is that the current mode is not so much a form of dialogue, but monologue. Each chooses their own manner of communicating. Let us all try to be tolerant of each other's opinions.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
What I have a problem with is those abbreviations: LOL, DH, ISO etc. Maybe the Board could publish a list of those and their meanings.
There used to be a list. If we search around a bit, I bet we find it again. I never know if LOL is "laugh out loud" or "lot's of luck".