Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FriXion Pens >

FriXion Pens

FriXion Pens

Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 AM

You will get many opinions on this subject. I only use the frixion pin where I will be cutting or sewing so I really don't worry about whether or not it will come back in the cold. I use all colors have not had trouble with any of them.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 AM
Suz

I use the black or blue pens with back-basting applique, as well as the white one from Clover. No problems so far.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 AM

Just watch out when you buy that you are getting the pens and not the highlighters. I love the pens and use them all the time. Just this week I used a black pen to mark rows and columns on blocks as I assembled a large quilt....so nice not to have little stickers falling off! BTW, I do like the highlighters a lot. They are erasable and don't seem to dry out like other highlighters. I use them to mark up my books and patterns, highlighting cutting directions.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 AM

I use them and think they are great.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I sent Pilot an email asking is the Frixion pens were archival. This was the reply:
[h=4]All Pilot Gel Ink Pens, Ball Point Pens and Markers are Acid-free and Archival safe, meaning their inks do not contain any acidic chemicals that may speed the deterioration process of photos and documents. Acid-free / Archival safe inks contain pH levels of 7.0 or greater meaning they’re non-acidic.[/h]
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
That's weird- I've always ironed mine off, and then washed them and the lines never come back. No need to wash first then iron, I don't think.

(And why are people putting their quilts in the freezer! It's really unlikely situation that your quilt will be so cold. Although- the one that sits in the back of my car in the winter in probably gets colder than the freezer, but the lines have never re-appeared.)
Who knows Skittl, maybe people are storing their quilts in the freezer. lol I have often wondered why the fascination with the mark coming back if put in the freezer. What difference does it make if it does? Personally, if I am using a quilt and it's cold enough for the markings to show up, I don't think that I'm going to stop using the quilt. lol
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM

I figure if the mark comes back in the freezer, it means *something* is still on the fabric. Whether or not you can see it, it's there. And if it's there, it could degrade the fabric or someday, come back even without the freezer.

Some say the wash takes it out and that's fine but for me, I prefer to use something like chalk that I know comes out 100%.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM

I use Pilot Frixon ball pens that I got at Amazon. They do not necessarily say they disappear with iron - they disappear with frixon. You can literally rub it away with a cold iron or your finger if you are not careful. I use all colors depending on the color of fabric I am using. I think they are fantastic.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM

I love using my Frixon marking pen. I use Best Press spray starch and the marks are not visible afterwards. As for temp changes, it has been said a quilter mailed a quilt to a quilt show and it arrived with the marks showing, presumably after being exposed to an uncontrolled climate. So far, my quilts will not go to a show but I will mention to the recipient the caveat in regards to the markings. So, I would recommend them with a caveat of the temp sensitivity.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 AM

I love mine! One use that is my favorite is to number rows before assembly. Makes joining go much quicker and less chance of mistakes. (Twister is one example of necessary marking!) I just have to remember not to use them in areas where I have to iron. Have ironed off critical markings! Duh!