2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM

boy that must have been a true challenge! I go into a store and its just one quick look at.. and well maybe I really need that.. and before you know it I walk out with a 40.00 bill and nothing to show for it its too small!!! sigh.. and that is being good. do you see why I can NOT walk into a store?????
Old 02-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I had to make a Wally run today. Picked up some flannel for a couple of receiving blankets for our new Gson who is waiting patiently to come into this big world! Also found some flannel on sale to use as backing on a couple of charity quilts. No quilting fabric though.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 AM

Elizabrat, glad you are home. Find one project. Do that in 20 minutes spurts. Then go do something else for 20 minutes. Then go back to the sewing. Or just take some time off. Not everything has to be done immediately. Give yourself the grace to do things at a slower pace, especially after a hospital visit!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
..... I look at the fabric on my shelf and I get overwhelmed...Help me, shop for me, shop with me...
Brat, You need a change of attitude. Firstly, Please please take care of yourself and don't rush into sewing again. Just your morale boosting postings here on QB are enough for any of us for now. Secondly, don't be overwhelmed looking at your fabric. ...be grateful! I see pics of others sewing rooms (which in some cases look like half a house stacked wall to wall with fabric)and I think to myself.."I don't really have so much after all!" :-) What I am trying to say is make a game of it...sort of like Mary Poppins. :-) Look at your stash with new eyes and think what you can do with it. You don't have to rush, either. That fabric won't spoil sitting on the shelf. I took an hour's break today (from the cat quilt) and worked on one of my ufo's begun 2 years ago. Used some pieces I found in stash that are working well for the outer border. Little by little I will find uses for all the bits and pieces friends have donated to me. Plus, looking at what I have makes me think I really don't 'need' to go to a fabric store for a while! :-) Lots of scrappy quilts in my future. Back to cat quilt tomorrow. Oh...and Emma, you are such an uplifting person. You are always posting encouraging words to everyone. I love this thread...even when one of us falls off the wagon!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 AM

coopah thanks and oh boy do I love your center!

Sandy your a sweetpea and I hope you know it. YOu always find a way to make me smile for this I am so grateful. I am doing a bit better just slow.. and gladl to be home not running around all crazy. Steve is good but I forgot to buy him something for his birthday. I wish I hadn't forgotten. I remember to bake a cake and make dinner guess this counts. I sure hope it counted. Its a slow week for me. I will move slowly and do what has to be done. Hoping that I get the grove back again.. it hsnt hit so far. UGH! so keep at me I will do it.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Elisabrat, I think we all hit those lows from time to time. The tide will turn and soon you will embrace your stash again. Maybe it is time to clean up. I ran into the problem a while back where I had a lot of stash outside the shelves and no apparent space to put it. So I pulled my stash out, pile after pile. I refolded some, reordered a lot, restacked it all and put it away. In the process I was petting the pieces and refamiliarizing myself with what I actually have. It was like visiting with old friends. It sure gave me a boost.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 PM

Well, I think I did pretty darn good this month. I only spent $39.00 on fabric. That is an all time low in the space of a month. High marks for me. I'll just have to see if I can get it lower in March!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:06 AM

Rhonda Lee: Good for you! Now days you can hardly go to a movie or out to dinner for less.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 AM

good news!! no fabric bought in either February or March!! dang, i'm good! that's 2 months of no relapses!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 AM

I didn't spend a cent on fabric, notions, or books in January or February. I didn't even buy a pair of scissors. My tax refund is coming though.