2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Paperprincess, if I had the chance to buy bolts or even half bolts of fabric at wholesale, I would jump at the chance. I have a bolt of muslin bought years ago at an auction and it is one of the best things I have in my stash. I personally give you a pass on all that you bought! I will finish my cat quilt today (hurray) and then I can concentrate of looking through stash to see if anything will work for the layer cake sizes I need to a class in May. I keep checking CT and other places that sell layer cakes. There seems to be such a range as to how many pieces are in one. Seems to vary from 20-32-40-42??? I need to get my hubby's math help to figure out how much yardage I need to buy to get 10.5 inch pieces that will come out with no waste. Sometimes, I think it might be better to buy yardage and have a bit leftover than buy just a layer cake. But so far, I have resisted....hard as it is. Thanks everyone!
Sandy, you need to really read the details on those precuts (layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls etc.) to understand what you are getting. The thing is they often contain 2 pieces of all the fabrics in that particular line. There's not a set number of fabrics in a line so the number of pieces in the pack will vary widely! Connecting threads lists the yardage for each of their precuts, which is nice. Also, I think that layer cakes are 10" square, not 10.5".
Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM

Paper Princess, I too am happy you started this challange. I use to pick up fabric just because I thought it was pretty and just had to have it. Since joining this group my fabric purchaseing has cut way down. Not only saving me money but also helping me to use my stash. I have basically made two projects that I dug into my stash first instead of just going out and buying more fabric.

I almost have the baby quilt pieced that I just purchased the green and orange for. I am hoping to have it done this weekend and will post picture when done.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM

I did it, I did it! All the way through March without purchasing any stash builders. As I have already admitted, I needed 1.5 yards to finish the back of the quilt I am working on now, but its already used. So total purchase in March $8 and change.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Emma, congratulations! That is awesome. Wow! I hope I can join you this month. That stage you are on looks mighty good.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 AM

Paperprincess...thanks so much for making things clearer. I think I am going to make my own layer cake as I prefer to start out with squares of 10.5. Plus it will give me another chance to go through my stash and get some of it used up...even if I only make two squares of each color, I would still only need 15 fabrics* and I know I have that many. The challenge is to make them go together a little bit and since it is just pinwheel blocks, I think it will be ok. Will post a picture of what it turns out to be after the class is over on May 3rd. Here I go..stash-diving. :-) Congratulations to all of you for doing so well. * two pinwheels of each color laid out in 5 x 6 arrangement.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Made it through March without any purchases, amazing! My 'savings' are now supporting some nonprofits I appreciate. It's fun to realize there's more money left in my regular monthly budget for other causes. Yet, I've hardly made a dent in my stash as of yet with 3 quilts made in the past 3 months.
I did pay for LAQ for those 3 quilts (which I'd have done even if I wasn't on a fabric moratorium). I also signed up for my first real quilt retreat which I'd have trouble paying for if I was still fabric shopping. That retreat will be so much fun!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear! I had signed up for a FQ birthday swap. I got my birthday package yesterday and my stash of batiks just grew by leaps and bounds. Fortunately, I can pull some FQs from my own stash for those I need to send out.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Two yards of batiks for a birthday present to myself was it for March and for the whole year so far for me. Not wonderful, but I've done worse.

Martina, if you send out an equal # of FQs by the end of the year, then your stash really hasn't increased. I love batiks so much, I'd just sit and pet them.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Martina, if you send out an equal # of FQs by the end of the year, then your stash really hasn't increased. I love batiks so much, I'd just sit and pet them.
...and if I feel generous and send out extras then I will be ahead.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Oh dear, Emma, I won't be joining you on stage. I went into my LQS to sign up for a class on hexy's and bought a book and bought some fabric for backing and borders. My humble excuses: 'but most of my yardage stash is at our other home, I just have smaller stuff here and this fabric is only 3.99 and it's good quality' and I stumbled right off that darn wagon. I'm really starting to wonder if I can really do this!