Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New member with a fabric paint issue! >

New member with a fabric paint issue!

New member with a fabric paint issue!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 AM

Default New member with a fabric paint issue!

Hi everyone,

I've finally joined up after reading many helpful posts from the sidelines! A lot of questions that I've had have been answered by this forum and for that I would like to say a big thank you!

I've got a bit of an issue at the moment with a quilt that I have just finished. The quilt is a "Tardis" quilt that I've made (secretly) for a friend of mine who is a big fan of Dr Who. The issue I'm having with it is the white fabric paint that I used to make the "Police Box" sign. I made the sign using a freezer paper template and Dylon white fabric paint. The paint is supposedly washable after setting it with an iron. I did two coats of fabric paint, setting it with the iron in between each coat, and then washed it to check that it had worked. It faded slightly after the wash so I decided to do another coat of paint. I set it with the iron as before, but didn't rewash it as I thought it would be fine.

I finished the quilting and binding yesterday and popped it in the wash today...I pulled it out of the machine and saw that the paint had peeled off in several areas. I think my current plan would be to repaint the areas that have peeled off and set it with the iron again, and then wash it again to see if it has worked. I guess I'm basically asking if anyone has any other ideas or experience with the dylon fabric paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471948[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails imag1014.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 05:40 AM

I don't have much experience with fabric paint. My painted pieces are currently unfinished. I think you are probably on the right track with repainting/resetting/rewashing and seeing how it turns out. On the other hand, the slightly weathered look is probably in line with the Tardis - as I'm sure it gets beat up with all its time travel.

Cheers, K
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear, what a shame! I don't have any experience with the fabric paint so I can't give an opinion on it.
I think I might redo the sign in fused machine appliqué and satin stitch around the letters on a new background piece. When it was finished and looking good, I would hand stitch the new sign over the original. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:12 AM

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to try again with the fabric paint to see if I can get it right, because it looked so crisp and lovely before it was washed. If that fails then I think I will try going the applique route!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 AM

When I was painting sweatshirts in the 90s, I had to add fabric medium to the paint to keep it from doing what this quilt has done. It's a liquid sold with the paints. I assume your fabric was prewashed to remove the sizing otherwise the paint sticks to the sizing and washes out when the sizing washes out. I hope it you are able to work this out.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM

As a big Dr. Who fan, I want to see the quilt!! Your friend is going to be delighted, no matter how you get this Police Box sign conquered. I have never fabric painted or appliqued, so I can be no help at all.

Dina
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Yes, I prewashed the fabric, normally I'm super lazy and can't be bothered but I wanted this one to be perfect so I tried to do everything properly. I'm wondering now if perhaps the last layer of paint was too thick? When I did the first two coats it had the freezer paper template on it and I used a spongey brush, but when I did the touch up after I washed it, I just used a paint brush because I had to keep inside the lines!

Here is the quilt when it was looking lovely!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471950[/ATTACH]

And another with it flat, just after I had sandwiched it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471951[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag1009.jpg   imag0927.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 AM

That is an amazingly beautiful Tardis quilt. Lucky friend !!!
I use mat craft paint, heat set, on fabric all the time and have never had this problem. Did you wash your fabric first? Sometimes the chemicals they put on the fabric won't let the paint penetrate / adhere properly. I think if you repaint now that you have washed it, the paint will stick just fine. But... i don't know about fabric paint...only regular craft paint.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board, and very nice quilt! Hope you find a happy solution~
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Many of the fabric paints require time after heat setting to cure. Anywhere from 48 hours to about 7 days before you wash.