Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Considering Quilting >

Considering Quilting

Considering Quilting

Old 05-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Default Considering Quilting

H ello everyone! I am retired and looking for a new winter activity. I have never quilted anything but I am fascinated by sewing geometric shapes together to make something beautiful. I'm reading and watching instructional videos on the web trying to figure out the basics. It's a little overwhelming at this point. I guess I'll have to take the plunge and actually pull out the sewing machine and some scrap material to practice. If all else fails I can take a 2 hour class at Joann Fabrics. Eventually, I need to figure out what I want to make. While bed quilts are beautiful I'm not sure I want to make something so big at this stage. What are some smaller projects for a beginner? Also, I want to purchase the bare minimum of equipment at this time. What should I purchase besides a rotary cutter? (I have a sewing machine.)
Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 PM

Welcome from Texas. Did you get the mat for the rotary cutter? You'll still need scissors, a ruler (if I only could have one I'd get the 6" x 24" one). And pins. I'm sure everyone else can expand on this list. Have fun.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Welcome to the QB! Yes, you can start small - make a quilted pillow top. Or a baby quilt or a lap quilt for somebody in a wheelchair. My best advice would be to start with a simple pattern - my first project was not simple and is still unfinished in a closet for the past 40 years. You already have a sewing machine so you obviously know how to use it. If you have sewn garments, then you already know how to follow directions. Just remember that most quilt blocks use a very accurate 1/4 inch seam. HTH
Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. A good place to start are the youtube tutorials done by Jenny Doan for the Missouri Star Quilt co. She has some table runner ideas that you might like before trying a quilt.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Welcome from Quebec city. Congratulations for your retirement.
I took 3 one-day quilting classes when I retired a few years ago and did placemats and potholders. Than I wanted to try my hands at a lap quilt which ended up big enough for a double bed. One of the mistakes I made was to buy small yardages of different fabrics that did not particularly match with one another. Now I am trying my hands at scrappy quilts to use up those little bits and pieces. I did some grocery bags with the leftover fabrics and they are washable and all differents.
I am planning to buy some more fabrics for a quilt that I want to make for my sister in law. this time, I will choose a pattern first than...... go and buy the fabrics I want to use in that quilt. I don't have nor don't want a stash. but there are so much beautiful fabrics out there... loll

A class to get you started is a very good idea. Than the rest will go on its own one project or two or three at a time!

Did you look at this page here on the board?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/articles-2/

Last edited by helou; 05-02-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: to add information
Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 AM

Welcome from NJ. Start small indeed. As someone else suggested, table runners; lap quilt; wall hanging to get started. Yes, mat along with your cutter and at least a 6 x 24" ruler. I'm also a 'non-stasher' and only buy for projects. But do over-buy a bit so you have some room for cutting/sew boo-boos. Make sure your ruler has 30/60/45 degree markings on it. When you pick a ruler, lay it over some different colored fabrics to make sure it's easy for you to see the lines/markings on it. Get one with the smallest measurements possible so as you progress you won't have to buy more. JoAnn Fabrics coupons are your friends. I would even suggest starting with fabric from JoAnns so you're not spending an arm & a leg on fabric for a small project that may not be your best work. Use tape or an index card to mark the 1/4" seam guide on the bed of your machine - no need for a 1/4" foot at this point. But that visual reminder will help get you in the habit of remembering that seam allowance vs the 5/8 or 1/2 for garment or home dec sewing if that is your history.

Do a google search for free quilting patterns and pick something you really like. I truly believe you need to start with something that you like/love so you will be more inclined to finish. Try not to pick something with curves or partial seams to start but otherwise, all patterns are pretty much cutting and sewing straight lines regardless of how complicated they look. Jump in with both feet and you'll have great fun. Everyone here is very willing to help if you have questions or get stuck.

Enjoy the process. This is supposed to be fun!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 05-03-2014, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 AM

Welcome from Wisconsin! I think neat smaller projects are seasonal wall hangings or table toppers. It's nice to change those out to freshen up your door or dining area. I've made some larger quilts, but it's harder for me to handle now that I'm older and have more aches and pains! Have fun on your new adventure and enjoy your retirement.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:01 AM

welcome from se TX -- you can make placemats, tablerunners, wall hangings, small quilts, and this is the site to help and inspire!!