Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Considering Quilting Vacation

Considering Quilting Vacation

It's been years since I've had a real vacation! I'm trying to plan a getaway sometime in the next year, and I was thinking about a quilting retreat or a quilting cruise. I've done lots of googling and a bit of research, and the following sound fun, although the timing may not be good for me:

Stitchin' Heaven Quilter's Hideout : http://www.stitchinheaven.com/quilters_hideout.asp
    Moda Quilting Extravaganza Cruise: http://www.stitchinheaven.com/travel...e_moda2013.asp

I was wondering if anyone's gone on any of the Stitchin' Heaven retreats or cruises, and what they thought, or if anyone knows of other quilting vacations. I'm looking for ones I don't have to travel too far to get to, so retreats in Texas or cruises that leave from Galveston. I'm also having trouble finding "open" retreats- I'm finding a lot of places that offer space for groups and guilds to organize their own retreats, but I want something already planned and that has an "open enrollment" since I'm not in a group.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
    QMFAO

I have been on many quilt tours along with a quilt cruise. For me, that is the only way to travel. I travel alone and this is safe, interesting and I don't have to worry about a thing. I even went to France on a quilt tour. I travel Heritage Counry Tours ( I hope this not again the rules) and love the whole experience. I usually have to fly somewhere, get myself to the hotel then meet up with my group. I have never had a problem. They always incorporate scenery,history and then of course, quilt shops. In France, we went do a material factory that showed the raw producting coming in, how they color the fabric, etc. We also went to a shop that our bus driver knew about,called them and they opened up just for us. They did screen printing and it certainly was well worth the trip.
    I can't say enough about the trips with this company. I first started after I got divorced. I knew I had to venture out on my own if I ever wanted to go anywhere. Saw their ad and gave it a try. I have met so many strong women on these ours. Even though I am alone, I never feel alone. Give it a try with any group. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Marilyn

I haven't been on one of their retreats, but have been to several retreats in AZ and CA. The $295 cost sounds really reasonable. I usually end up spending $400 or so on the retreats (registration and lodging), plus meals.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I'm trying to avoid airfare, though, saves more money for fabric
    QMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    I haven't been on one of their retreats, but have been to several retreats in AZ and CA. The $295 cost sounds really reasonable. I usually end up spending $400 or so on the retreats (registration and lodging), plus meals.
    I thought it sounded like a bargain, too!
    QMFAO

Thanks for starting this thread... I was having the same thoughts regarding a 'quilting' vacation.

The retreats and cruises offered by Quilting Heaven sound like so much fun. I have a couple of questions--if you travel by yourself, do you have to room with someone else? Usually the prices are for doubles. Also, when you go on a quilting cruise, is all your free time spent in a classroom, quilting? Like so many of you, I don't belong to any groups, and only have a couple of friends who quilt. Thanks for starting this thread, as I have been wondering the same thing.
    Sue

I've never been on a quilt cruise but from the sounds of it I'd sure like to take one and soon.
    Denise finally in Manchester NH

Blog Entries
    This is a great thread - I would love to go on a quilting retreat/cruise. Was wondering how do you bring a featherweight on a plane? Or do you ship it before - or does the retreat/cruise have machines. I will be doing investigation, guys - thinking about this just added another thing to my Bucket list (daughter calls this my
    B list).
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Banned
    3 or 4 of my quilting friends and I get together for a 7 day week every year - it's our annual quilt retreat. This year we're planning to rent a furnished house thru a realtor in the area we want. We come from different states so seek as close to a mid point as possible.
    You don't want to choose an area that has attractions - jacks up the price.
    You want nowheresville that has a restuarant for one dinner splurge, a supermarket and, if you're lucky, a quilt shop.

Susie, usually the cruises have a price for double occupancy, and and additional price if you want single occupancy. Also the cruise I looked at has set class times, and then you can spend the rest of the time doing what you want, including stoips at ports. I think the classroom is open to sew in if you want after the class times.

nhweaver, the cruises I've looked at provide the machines so you don't have to take yours. The retreat I looked at, you bring your own machine. I've never flown with a sewing machine before, but I would be driving if I go on the retreat.

It looks like I'll be going on the Moda cruise in January- I think I've talked my mom into going. She's freaked out by the idea of being on a boat, but I think I can drug her to get her on, and once she's on she'll be ok We'll definitely have an inside cabin so no windows.
    QMFAO

The quilt tour company sounds really interesting. Will have to show their website to my husband!
    Heather

BMP
    Blog Entries
    When I go on a cruise the LAST thing I think about is quilting...there is just way too much to see and do especially on port days, by the time you get back onboard you just want dinner and relax. Sea days are full of activities that are fun and the last thing I want to do is be inside quilting !!! Sorry JMHO....
    Our group rents a house on the lake that we like to go too for a weekend in the fall....

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who recently went on a quilt cruise to Alaska. She loved it and had a blast! Her only regret was that some of the scheduled quilting activities conflicted with some of the scheduled cruise activities, so she was forced to choose.

Spending as much time quilting as possible is my primary objective for this vacation, so I'm not worried about the cruise activities. If the classes were in the form of a retreat, I'd do that instead, but I can't find a retreat that's open enrollment and works in my schedule.
    QMFAO

Wish I could say that I have been personally, but alas, that is not the case! A guild member and her sister went to Alaska on a cruise through www.sewmanyplaces.com. They had a fabulous trip, but said it would be a once in a lifetime experience (I imagine b/c of the cost).

I've gone to several retreats, and later this month will be traveling out of state to go to a quiltville.com 3-day workshop. I love going, but as they are quite intense with non-stop sewing, it's not exactly relaxing - I come home exhausted! The cruises would be the perfect solution - some sewing time, some relaxing time, some touring the ports!

Blog Entries
    You must be reading my mind. I have been thinking about the same thing. I found this on-line magazine that has a wealth of quilt trips; bus, train, ship. All you have to do is sign up and you can read the magazine free.
    http://www.quiltposium.com/

My sister and I would love to take the New England/Canada cruise, but we live in California. So tack on a $800 round trip airfare and it gets too expensive.

Blog Entries
    Have you thought about joining a Quilt Guild? Our Guild has a retreat once or twice a year. You wouldn't even have to go to the meetings if you didn't want to. Just join and sign up for the retreats.

peaceandjoy, I'd love to go to a quiltville retreat!

I would love to do an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise, or one to/in Europe, but I'll need to save for a couple more years for those (or go on a serious fabric diet, lol), and I need a vacation ASAP!

Thanks for the additional sites for reasearch!
    QMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
    Have you thought about joining a Quilt Guild? Our Guild has a retreat once or twice a year. You wouldn't even have to go to the meetings if you didn't want to. Just join and sign up for the retreats.
    I was thinking about joining the modern quilt guild here in Houston, but their meetings don't fit my schedule. I'll have to think about it, thanks for the suggestion!
    QMFAO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Tea View Post
    I was thinking about joining the modern quilt guild here in Houston, but their meetings don't fit my schedule. I'll have to think about it, thanks for the suggestion!
    Ask around at your local quilt shops, there might be other groups that might fit your needs and desires. I didn't care to join my local "official" guild, but I did find some alternative, like-minded, loosely-organized quilting groups. We organize our own retreats and have a blast!

There is a quilt retreat in Milford, TX that does have open retreats sometimes. It is called Our House In Milford. They have a website that you can look at. You take whatever you want for projects. All meals are included. You do not have to do anything but sew. This would be a drive from you area but well worth it if you can't find anything in your area. We have a group that does a Monday-Thursday retreat twice a year. Common Threads Quilt Shop in Waxahachie also does retreats at OHIM.

mltquilt

Thanks mltquilt!
    QMFAO

im going on a vacation with my hubby to plymouth mi the 1st of may its something hes always wanted to do. however im not thrilled about the event he wants to go to. so since this is his trip im taking my sewing machine
    and stuff to work on i have also googled quilt shops close by at least i hope theyre close as my geography/map skills
    arent great i also found a small quilt show that i think is close as well. so im ready to go lol. i cant wait to have time off away from home to sew and possibly some new adventures to experience as well.
    of course any suggestions are welcome if anyone lives in the area or knows the area of things/places i shouldnt miss.
    thanks carla

I'm in El Campo, Texas and our local quilt shop organizes 3 retreats a year in Wharton, TX. Wharton is about 40 minutes from Sugar Land - down the Southwest Frwy (59) towards Victoria. They do one in January, one in June, and one in July. The June one is fulll, but there were some July openings last I heard. Open enrollment. Very losely organized. Monday - Wednesdays for around $300. Check out there site and put it on your "check it out" for a low investment option. (I think $300 is high, but ... lower than other choices!)

http://www.cedarchestquiltshoppe.com/Retreats.php
    So many quilts, so little time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast