Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite magazine >

Favorite magazine

Favorite magazine

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Default Favorite magazine

Saw an announcement from The Quilt Show (though no longer a member) that The Quilt Life magazine is no longer going to be published after Oct issue. That and Amercan Quilter are my favorite publications as they contain articles about quilters instead of just patterns. I do like the magazine from Ireland but can't find it very often so maybe its not published anymore. I have so many, many magazines even though I gave piles to a friend. Since I retired, my income has dropped by $700/month so I have to be more choosy what I buy. The Country Register given out by LQSs has lots of small interesting articles and good recipes. What other mags are out there that has more that just patterns?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

I don't get many magazines anymore. But I enjoy the AQS (American Quilters Society) magazine. There are inspiring photos of the winning quilts from the AQS show and numerous articles about the quilt artists or specific techniques. It's not packed full of ads either like the regular commercial quilting magazines.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

The same people that write the quilting articles for magazines all have quilting blogs. Usually quilt blogs have more information about quilting then the magazine articles. Jenny Doan's Block magazine is one I subscribe to. The patterns are free online along with a video of how to do it, and that's the amazing thing about it. Most quilting magazines are now being printed to supplement the online content, at least the ones that want to around for the future quilters.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

The only one I buy regularly is Quilters Newsletter Magazine. Just picked up my new copy today and noticed it is now $7.99!! Ouch that is getting a little pricey but it it has a couple of articles that sound interesting...... Buying a Longarm and What's your Quilt Worth.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The only one I buy regularly is Quilters Newsletter Magazine. Just picked up my new copy today and noticed it is now $7.99!! Ouch that is getting a little pricey but it it has a couple of articles that sound interesting...... Buying a Longarm and What's your Quilt Worth.
I was looking thru my Quilter's Newsletter Aug/Sept 2014 and saw the two articles that Tartan mentioned which are very interesting. Sorry Tartan, in the US it is still only $5.99. Friend bought it for me for Xmas. Told her NOT to renew it, not my cup of tea.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM

When a couple of friends and I realized that we were all subscribing to the same magazines, we decided to "share" our subscriptions. We each picked out our favorite and renewed only that one. When my new magazine comes, I give last months copy to my friend. She gives the last months copy of her magazine to our third friend, who in turn gives me her last months copy of her Magazine. It means that we all get to read three magazines each year but only have to pay for one! None of us mind reading old editions... Also - we each alerted our loved ones that subscriptions and old copies of quilt magazines found at thrift stores and yard sales were a great presents! Duplicates are shared among ourselves or distributed to other friends.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

The Quilt Pattern Magazine (TQPM) is a great one! I've bed subscribing since its beginning and look forward to it every month. Even though the named implies (patterns) it has a lot more than that to offer along with free group projects and content for subscribers, and it is a lot less expensive than most of the big published magazines
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM

quilter's newsletter and american quilter are ones I tend to buy most because they have stories, I don't like when magazines only have patterns. I just feel bored with those