Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quilting Magazine?

What is your favorite quilting magazine? Do you subscribe or just purchase it on the stand occasionally?

I'm sure there was a discussion about this already.....but I can't seem to find it......besides, there may be new favorites.

Blog Entries
    i have had a few different ones and dropped them all and keep only quick quilts. I love theres

McCalls is one of my favorites and I'll pick up a special edition of prizewinners when I get the chance. Fons and Porter isn't too interesting lately-letting my subscription drop. Quick quilts aren't inspirational enough.

Blog Entries
    Quilting Arts is my favorite because of all of the creative ideas. Fons and Porter magazines have been super helpful with my learning because they are so easy to follow. Since finding this board with all of the information and tutorials, I don't often buy a magazine anymore. They don't give wonderful feedback and support like the quilters here. At first, I bought every one I could find. :)

Blog Entries
    I subscribe to a few, but I really like American Patchwork and Quilting best. The reason I like it best is that it shows quilting options, not just the pattern & piecing. Some of the magazines don't focus in on the quilting part, so it's hard to figure out what to do.

I recently took an online subscription to Quilter's World, because someone here mentioned that you get the last five years of issues free. I thought that was a pretty good deal, especially since I don't have to store the magazines on my shelf.

Quilts and More is the only one I buy on a consistent basis...the next would be Quilt...and I just started getting the new Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine by subscription...liked everything in the first issue so thought I would...it only comes out 4x a year...and saved over buying the issues at the stand.

I buy what I like so I have a variety of magazines!!!
    no subscription for me

I have so many magazines already and I don't subscribe to any magazines any more. I might buy one or two magazines per year if there is something in it that I really want to make. I always end up designing my own patterns.

I used to subscribe to five or six quilt magazines but now only have Quiltmaker. I like it as they show a lot of quick quilts and many that are great for babies and kids and these are the kind of quilts that I make most frequently. I have been disappointed in many of the magazines these last couple of years as the focus seems to be selling fabric collections and the quilts they show are usually made with these collections and they are often not the best colour or pattern choice for the quilt pattern. Sometimes the fabric is so busy that the pattern is lost and the quilting does not show.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I've subscribed to several over the years. Most recently Quilt Maker. Also liked American Patchwork & Quilts. But, I haven't renewed them. Now I go to B&N or Borders and buy individually.

Power Poster
    I regularly pick up Quilter's Newsletter Magazine at Walmart, ocsasionaly pick up Quiltmaker and I admit to flipping through some of the others on the stand. If a pattern catches my eye in another magazine, I usually buy it.

I had picked up a bunch of "American Quilter" (AQS) back issues at a quilt show several months ago and liked it enough that I subscribed. I pick up "Quilting Arts" at the newsstand on occasion.

I like magazines that show me techniques and new ideas, not necessarily patterns. For patterns, I regularly download free patterns from the fabric makers web sites and keep them stored in folders on my PC.

I usually check them out at the library and then decide if I might want to get a subscription. I also browse through them at JoAnns or grocery store and occasionally buy a copy that looks like it has patterns I'll like. To me each magazine appeals to a slightly different style and kind of quilt(er). All the quilt magazines let you order a free copy to try, that would also be a good way to figure it out.

Currently I'm liking American Patchwork and Quilting. I've only been quilting about 2 years and I like fast and easy. Almost every project in the new August issue appealed to me!

I think Quilts is my favorite.

American Quilter and Quilting Arts. These are my favorites, used to subscribe to lots, but as the prices went up, my subscriptions went down. I also get Quilters Newsletter, but mainly because I was an original subscriber and didn't want to miss an issue.

I love everything about "Irish Quilting". the layout.quality of paper, color and most important the contents.

Blog Entries
    This topic has come up before. I would love a subscription, but I do think they are overpriced considering the amount of advertising revenue derived from their production. I used to have the British P&Q subscription, but although the mag is quite large, again it is full of adverts and long winded articles, not enough about quilting projects, techniques and really useful information. They are almost predictable and boring. Some might disagree with me, but I have dozens of back copies and the earlier ones, dating back to the early nineties were far more interesting and informative. I also have a few American issues from that period which I treasure.

I love Quilts, it has easy instructions, complete with templates if needed, 2nd would be McCall's QuIlting,beautiful and new and quick projects,purses,totes, etc.

I like the one from Australia I think its called "Patchwork and Quilting" I get issues from ebay mostly. I'm not sure but I think the postage on a subscription would be costly.

I like to buy my magazines at thrift stores/yard sales. They are usually 25 cents. So if I don't really like it, I'm not out much money. I will donate it back or try to sell it at my yard sale.
    I like the ones, though, that have FULL size patterns.

Not a magazine but I love Quilters Club of America. It comes with lots of free patterns, groups, vendor info and a subscription to EasyQuilts. I also subscribe to Fons and Porter as they have great direction and extra support online. Occasionally I pick up a qilting magazine from Joanns if they are on sale. I used to get McCalls, but decided to downsize my magazine stash. It can get pretty unwieldy after a while. :roll:

Blog Entries
    My favorite is Australian Patchwork and Quilting. I found it in a LQS and love it. It has many patterns and lots of good info.I also like that it has different patterns than I see around here. Don't have a subscription yet because I am still searching for a good price. It get very expensive when they add the shipping. SO far it is cheaper to purchase it from the LQS.

used to have more subscriptions but whittled down to the Quilter, Quiltmaker, and American Quilting Society magazine.

Ever since Mark Lipinski took over Fabric Trends, I have really enjoyed the magazine. It's more of a reference than a magazine and in the back you can see next season's upcoming fabrics. Plus he is so irreverent and funny!! Good patterns, good quilts, good read.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast