Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Quilting Magazine? >

Favorite Quilting Magazine?

Favorite Quilting Magazine?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sandwich child
Here's one not to subscribe to. A few months ago I received an offer from Fons and Porter for a half-price subscription with three (count 'em, 3!) free prizes. Sounded good to me so I ordered. After a few weeks I received a billing statement. Waited another few weeks; another billing statement. With that, I sent an email "Where's my magazine and my free stuff?" A few days later a reply arrived in my inbox: "Yes, we know we never sent the free items. They will be sent within a few weeks." Another few weeks pass and, guess what! I got a 3rd billing statement. After 3 months I wrote Fons and Porter and said "CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION." They did; no explanation, no apology. no free stuff and no magazine.
Same happened to me with F&P, I subscribed again after a few years off, but cancelled it last year. NEVER got the free stuff with my PAID subsc. or ANY response to make it right. TERRIBLE customer service IMO :(
Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Have you noticed that a lot of the magazines are displayed in plastic covers? You can't page thru them and decide if you want them - you just have the cover to judge by.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Quilter's World. they have wonderful additional downloads. Quick Quilts because it is a gift. Used to get at least 4 more, but too many piling up, I was giving away in class. Now I love going to manuf. websites and getting all the freebies, esp if the fabrics have come into the shop. Occ. buy a mag from stand IF there is a great looking quilt. Pegeth
Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
AP & Q is my fav but I still like Quilt and McCalls. Love the Aussie mags too

Most of them all look alike now, I just laugh when I see all their "designer" or "original patterns"
How MANY MORE ways can you put rectangles, strips or squares together ?? "Original" 9-Patch designs ?? Square in a square ?? "Original" star designs ? LOL :roll:
so true - LOL!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks to each one of you for your replies. Now, I'm going to have to make some tough choices. I know already NOT to subscribe to Fons & Porter. Seems everyone I've talked with has had a bad experience with their subscriptions. Think I'm going to try McCalls first.
Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Originally Posted by sandwich child
Here's one not to subscribe to. A few months ago I received an offer from Fons and Porter for a half-price subscription with three (count 'em, 3!) free prizes. Sounded good to me so I ordered. After a few weeks I received a billing statement. Waited another few weeks; another billing statement. With that, I sent an email "Where's my magazine and my free stuff?" A few days later a reply arrived in my inbox: "Yes, we know we never sent the free items. They will be sent within a few weeks." Another few weeks pass and, guess what! I got a 3rd billing statement. After 3 months I wrote Fons and Porter and said "CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION." They did; no explanation, no apology. no free stuff and no magazine.
Same happened to me with F&P, I subscribed again after a few years off, but cancelled it last year. NEVER got the free stuff with my PAID subsc. or ANY response to make it right. TERRIBLE customer service IMO :(
If you didn't get the free gifts, you didn't miss much. Flyers on basics of quilting, a useless pattern book with quilting tips, and another piece of useless paper. Dollar value amount........the cost of the paper they printed it on!