Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Mat Favorites - Martelli? Olfa? Beba? >

Cutting Mat Favorites - Martelli? Olfa? Beba?

Cutting Mat Favorites - Martelli? Olfa? Beba?

Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Default Cutting Mat Favorites - Martelli? Olfa? Beba?

I have been reading posts about favorite cutting mats and have been considering 3 that seem popular...what is your favorite and why?

It seems some years back the Beba was popular...is it still?

A question about Martelli...do I have to use their ruler with it?

Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Tell you the truth, I can't tell that much difference between the ones I have - olfa, fiskars, june tailor, and a big thick white one that is on the downstairs table.

None of them are "good" if one is trying to cut with a dull blade or the mat is so worn that there are gouges and deep lines in it from heavy or improper use.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:25 AM

I've been happy with my Olfa. Have had it for 10 years and it still looks new. My old one I had for 15-20 years. I still have a piece of that one I keep in the utility room to cut other things on it, like floor tiles and such.

I've never heard of Beba. Martelli I saw at a quilt show. I can't comment on the quality...they cost nearly 5x as much as the Olfa. I would think you could use any ruler on it. Their rulers are very expensive. Personally, I'd rather have the Olfa and less expensive rulers and save my cash for fabric!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I have every brand of cutting mat even Polar which is hard to find. I don't have a favorite. I like the June Taylor hard surface mat I guess the best. I don't use one mat for all my cutting so they all last much longer. The self healing mats are thin plastic sheets covered in gasket material. The blade is cutting through the soft layer and rolling on the plastic sheet. So all mats are hard surface to cut on. Buy several small mats of different brands and find the one you like best.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 AM

I am an Olfa fan...I have had the same small one I started with in the mid '80s and bigger ones I have added along the way. That being said, I am going to the AQS Grand Rapid show this week with a Martelli one on my list. I read it does not warp. I am looking for one that will travel better. I have been known to run back out the car to schlep in my mat even if I am not quilting! lol
Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 AM

i have the martelli and the olfa....the martelli is heavier and thicker. Also, in their dvd's they say (actually even recommend) that the lines are accurate and you can use them when cutting....(don't know if the others aren't but it's been recommended to me to cut using the lines on the rulers and not use the lines on the mat).....is the martelli worth the $$$....? I don't know since i've just received it but it seems to be better quality and I expect it to last longer....I also have one of their rulers....I must say it's nicer than the rulers that slide around.....my cuts have been more dependable and straighter....but you can use their rulers and their mats separately from one another....I do prefer their rotary cutters.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM

My Martelli seems to have helped prolong the life of my blades. I like the contrasting colors too. Though I doubt I'll ever stop using rulers to measure and cut.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Is there ever a really good sale on Martelli mats? I noticed on Massdrop that they are voting on them...so maybe they will show up there there soon to purchase. I can't quite convince myself with the prices I see!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:25 AM

I have the Beba and I adore it!! It's three years old now and still "brand new". It's the translucent kind.

The "green" type mats I had to "take care" of at least once a year ... scrape it with the edge of my ruler and put warm wet towels on it to get rid of the cut marks.

The Beba mat ... I run a damp rag over it every now and then if I think it's it's dusty or dirty.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Martelli mat is the bomb! They have a Redline sale a few times a year. Rulers are great, pricey, but work well and it makes you use the mat to measure, something you have to get used to again. I have the left handed cutter in 45mm and 60 mm and love them, sometimes forget to close them though. If you can get the 50% sale, I would definitely put the mat on your wish list! I got the largest mat, covers most of my table, and I love love love it.