Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a journal? >

Do you keep a journal?

Do you keep a journal?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Default Do you keep a journal?

I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything. Maybe not using the right words. Sweetie has been bugging me for some time that I should start a journal of all the quilts I make. I know I should but don't know what "kind" of journal. I've seen some that are basic spiral notepad types with just written notes and a picture of the finished quilt. On the other end of the spectrum I've seen some that are very elaborate scrapbooks. How many of you keep journals and if you do, what all do you put in yours?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

here's a couple of links to previous posts
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t238842.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t211318.html
personally, I don't keep one
Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM

I have a blog that I post pictures, hints, tutorials and other such things to. That way I can't lose it, be destroyed or take up computer or shelf space with.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't keep a quilt journal or a personal one. I prefer to look to the future not the past.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I have never made a journal. I have photos of most I have made.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I would not actually call it a journal, but I do keep close track of the quilts I make. I have a list in the computer showing the name, number, size, step in progress, and who I am going to give it to. I also take many pictures of them in progress.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 AM

I don't keep a jounal but I wish I did. I would love to look at pictures of all the quilts and quilted items I have made through the years - it would make me feel productive. lol Well, never too late, I think I will start one! Thanks for the great idea auntnana.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have never made a journal. I have photos of most I have made.
Same here. All I have kept is photos. And I have a stack of loose papers/scraps where I have worked out my "design" including the size of the cutting pieces and my math scribblings for the fabric quantity to buy. I wish I had these better organized--need to put them in a three ring binder or something similar.
I think having some kind of a journal is a great idea but probably not likely to do it.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

I began a quilting class at our senior center in December 2008. I promised myself that I would make each of my 5 children "if I lived long enough" a quilt especially for them. I decided to keep a journal for everything I made. I wrote in my journal the date I started it, the name of the quilt, who it was for, I started with my first born daughter. I decided I would create a label shaped like a heart for each one that I made, naming the Quilt: "Heather's Lacy Heart" was the first, date I finished it, my daughters' name, by (my name), and Cape Cod, Ma. Always stated "made with love for" each of my children. Of course I took many pictures of it, both sides and a picture of the heart shaped label. I always tried to make the back side a little interesting so that they had a reversible quilt. I've also kept the leftover material in a good size zip locked bag and labeled it with whoevers quilt it was, hoping I would go back at some time to make a pillow using the scraps. I love making the rag style pillow for an extra gift in the future for them. So far I have made 2 pillows, one for each daughter which matches their quilt. I also have 3 sons and this past December I finished my last son's quilt. One day in between making these 5 quilts, my husband asked me much to my surprise "when do I get my quilt"? I asked what theme quilt would you like? Marine Corp theme would be nice. So with the help of this site www.Quiltingboard.com I asked for help and LadyT was kind enough to post a picture of the quilt she had made for her father-in-law. She posted a picture of it and it was beautiful, just what I was looking for. Thank you again ladyT ! It was a little difficult so instead of 6 Lemoyne Stars, I made only 4. My husband loved it. So I encourage all of you to please keep a journal. I will be 80 in June and will look forward to looking at my journal in the future years with fond memories. Happy quilting to all of you.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I don't keep a journal, but I have a couple of notebooks that I jot stuff down in as it occurs to me. I do have one page per quilt. Since I don't usually follow a pattern exactly, it's more the number of blocks, how many inches of binding etc. I don't note the fabrics used or have a picture of the final quilt. I'm really bad about taking pictures of my finished items.