Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have we talked about embroidery machines yet? >

Have we talked about embroidery machines yet?

Have we talked about embroidery machines yet?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 AM

I went to the search function and tried to look up threads on embroidery machines. It googled it and I got everything from high tech embroidery machines to upgrading machine software....I am so confused.

I need to purchase an embroidery machine. Before I do that, I have to do my homework so I can save up the right amount of money. Walmart has a Brother with Disney stuff on it. My first sewing machine was a Walmart-Brother machine. I wanted to get accessories for it like a walking foot and a 1/4" inch foot. I had to call Brother. They said that their Walmart machines are "beginner" machines and if I want to do any intermediate work, they'd be more than happy to sell me a Brother to suit my needs. Now I have a Janome. I'm worried about getting the brother machine from walmart due to it's cost and whether or not I could embroider anything but what has come with it.

I need just a basic machine. I don't need 1000s of designs or anything. I need something very simple, plain and easy to use. I'll probably use it to embroider quilting labels and the occational applique that needs embroidery. If I knew how to embroider, I'd just do it by hand...but I don't.

So...what are good types of super simple machines. What price range should I look for? What is a fantastic price or what is too high? Are there different kinds or are they all pretty much the same. I've only seen one. It was my MIL's and I only saw it briefly the one time.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to buy anything unless I know about it first. I figured if anybody knew it would be you guys.

Melissa
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM

Melissa, I think that's the brother that Miranda (buttercream) has a love/hate relationship with! I have a Singer Futura CE 100 (500$$@ Walmart) it has a lot of designs that come with it but it can read almost any format and designs are cheap to buy and download. I really enjoy it and have not had any problems with it. Good luck
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM

I got a Snger Futura CE100 I looked at quite a few before purchasing this one .What finaly sold me on this machine was
1) It was a Singer
2) The fact it will work with 11 differnt emb formats
3) Also is a regular sewing machine with 24 stiches which can also be mirriored
4) the price was with in my budget under $600
5) no spiecal cards or anything needed to use the machine just hook up to your computer
6) download designs straight to you computer and save

I know there are a lot of nice machines out there
First know how much you can afford and what you want it to do.

I bought mine online and had it in 4 days.
Kathy and I have exchange a few designs with each other.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 AM

I'm definitely looking for one under 600.00 It will take me forever to save up that kind of money...but it'll happen eventually. It sounds like these things are even more complicated than I thought. I just want something basic, but has the ability to do more if I learn more. Something VERY easy to use as I am computer dumb. I appreciate everyone's comments and I'm just sitting back and reading them. You guys have such wonderful imput. I knew you would.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Mpeters1200, I have 2 Brother embroidery-sewing machines. I also have a Pfaff embrodery-sewing machine. I use the Brothers every single day. Love them! I bought my step-daughter a Wal-Mart Brother on clearence...she absolutely loves it. They are a hard working machine...and easier to learn to embroider on than my Pfaff!!
Using the Brother got her (S-D) into quilting--because this machine made it so easy! I don't have a single complaint about them. Yes, the Wal-Mart machine is a "Basic" machine...but if you don't need 1000s of design...go for it. I do believe the basic Disney machine will take a design card...you can buy them with other designs. I find the Brother embroidery to be superior to my Pfaff.
Cilla
Old 12-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Cilla,

Will the Disney-Brother or Walmart machines do the letter embroidery? That way if I make something special I can embroider names or whatever one it, perhaps embroider a label for a quilt.

Melissa
Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM

mpeters1200, On the Wal-Mart Brother machines....read the description on the box really well. I have seen machines there that do have the monograms and lettering. The description on the sides of the box will tell you. Some machines do, some don't. The one that will have it might cost you $20 or $30 more. From what I have seen....they are all priced very reasonable. Our stores carry 3 or 4 different Brother machines....so you really have a choice.
Cilla
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Melissa,
Kathy is correct. The Brother SE270D machine from WM is what I have. I am so unhappy right now. I love(d) that machine, but it gave me problems so often! You can read some of my other posts to catch up on all about that machine and my problems with it, if you wish.
RIght now the machine is in Tennessee at Brother's repair shop.

My back-up is a regular Brother, and I'm having a hard time getting it to work, also.

There are lemons in everything we buy, here and there. I'm unfortunate to have gotten this with my last vehicle and my new Sewing/Embroidery machine!
Let me answer a few questions for you, though. I will try not to be negative since I had a bad machine. :D

The Brother SE270D would more than suit your needs if you only need something basic. It comes with many built-in designs. Not all are Disney. THere are some with flowers and things, too.

This particular machine will not embroider caps. It's maximum embroidery area is 4 x 4 inches, even if you get a bigger hoop.

YEs, you can embroider designs other than what comes with the machine. You do not need to buy the cards for it each time you want a different design other than what comes on the machine. Those can get VERY EXPENSIVE. I invested in the PED Basic for $129 (then found it on sale for $100). You can download many, many free designs from the internet. You can also purchase them online for reasonable prices. Store the designs on your computer, and transfer them to the "blank" card that comes with the PED via the USB hook-up. THen, the card goes into the machine. It will save money in the long-run. Some of the cards cost half as much as the PED!

I think you will do more than embroidering labels and applique with one of the Embroidery machines. THey are so fun and do such beautiful work! I wanted to embroider enough blocks for a quilt someday.

My first machine was also a WM Brother ($97 was the cheapest they had at the time and what I bought. I bought Brother bc my Mom had one for 20 years--now about 27 years-- that was still in good shape).

You may want to know that WM will only take back the machine for 90 days WITH YOUR RECEIPT.
KEEP YOUR RECEIPT IN A SAFE PLACE!
Also, after being given the run-around more 2 or 3 times from WM and more than that from BROTHER, I finally talked to a helpful lady at Brother. She said if I had my receipt, and it had been less than a year from the date of purchase, and I had my receipt, I could take the machine back to WM and fill out a work order. WM would send it back to BRother for me. This way I would not have to pay the shipping back to TN. Brother will fix it bc it is still under the one year warranty. (nobody told me this months before).

Do you have an authorized brother service repair shop near you? You can go to www.brother.com and find out. Mine is probably an hour and a half one way...

Check out my other posts if you want more info on my machine.

Good luck! Please let us know what you decide to buy. I hope mine works forever once I get it back.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM

check the classified/items for sale section there is one for sale
Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Well,

I definitely won't be buying anything before the new year. I have copy and pasted many posts into a file that I can keep perusing so as to make some form of decision.

I thank you all though. My first new sewing machine was the WM brother and I was VERY unhappy with it. Haven't used a brother since. I'm not sure at all what I'll get, but I'm going to get something one of these days!!!

Melissa