Newbies challenge

Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM

do they find us or do we ask them im confused
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM

i have screwed up I thought I need to look for a mommie, but someone please adopt me

candykisses31061
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by candykisses31061
do they find us or do we ask them im confused
you can PM someone direct to ask, or you can wait for someone to PM you. Or jump in and ask for help, and I try to post what I can and everyone can maybe benefit from the links and tips. If your specific, it helps someone to know if they feel they are able to help. Not everyone does everything, may not be sure they can help if your question is on a technique they dont' do themselves.
Post exactly what your working on or needing help with.
Then PM anyone you find that you think could help. If they dont' do that technique, dont' take it personally, and keep trying. If your experienced, and someone posts a direct need, please PM and jump in to help. It's not going to cost anything more than time, and might only be needing a little help. Friendships grow. I wish I could help everyone, but then I wouldn't get anything done. So, I have a couple I help, and wait to hear if someone posts and I can help specifically, in a little more. Debbie
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM

that is just beautiful,bewitching. I'am a newbie in quilting and also on the computer.I'am having trouble saving things.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM

thank you.

candykisses31061
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

I have three newbies under my wing right now my sister in law, my niece and my daughter in lay. It keeps me busy. I help them pick patterns and fabrics and they finally feel comfortable cutting their own fabrics. It is a challenge sometimes, but I feel it is worth it. Their excitement when they see the finished quilt (I have a longarm and do the quilting for them) is so rewarding.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Ohhh! Sign me up as a Newbee!

I've had a wierd experience in quilting. Started out learning the basics from books about 2 years ago. You know, the Eleanor Burns basic strip piece kinda thing. But never, ever got past the completed 'top' stage (never did actual quilting, sandwiching, binding). Until about a month ago, I didn't have a place/room where I had enough room/tables etc. to do it. (Now I have a nice, if small, sewing room....

But back to the 'experience': after stitching straight lines in strip piecing for 6 months... my sis-in-law and I took a Carol Doak course (the one and only course I've ever done). We had no clue what 'paper piecing' was... we thought the stars looked 'pretty' so we signed up. OMG. When we introduced ourselves... the others were all 10 years or plus quilters! Then there was my SIL and I, and she was a 'newer' quiltier than I! Phew. That class whooped by er... well... you know.

To my surprise... I actually finished the paper pieced stars/fractal wall quilt top during the class! I just followed the directions Carol gave us. When I didn't understand something, I just sorta watched what the two ladies on either side of me did. You see, nobody ever told me that paper piecing was supposed to be hard. lol. I figured... how hard can it be? Amazing what one can do if one doesn't know enough to be scared of it. lol. My sis in law is now into quilting in a HUGE way... and taking longarm classes!

But heck... I still haven't the faintest idea of how to quilt the thing. I'm thinking 'in the ditch' and then continious line sea shells in the borders. Of course, HOW to do this on my machine.... well... <scratch head>... ..

Anyways...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM

will u be my mommy
Old 01-01-2011, 07:47 AM

If you want your quilt to really stand out in a competition... RED
Red draws attention
Purple means royalty
Green means Healing
Blue means speaking truth (also indigo)
Orange means creativity
Yellow means focus
Pink means Gods love, spiritual
White means pure or pain in life
Gold means focus, purity, no anger
Deb D
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM

I am up for adoption. But I must tell you that I come with a class of small town 4-H girls and sometimes boys. Need help with new techniques, ideas and just general help.