Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Found: Adorable Mission Style cabinet with a "The Free" SM :) Not sure what year it was made but most likely dates around 1910 - 1912. I really like the cabinet style and would love to modify it to fit my singer 206. Any suggestions on how to go about making this swap-out work?

Judy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170513.jpe   attachment-170514.jpe   attachment-170515.jpe  
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Nancy, let say this and I have to hit the hay cause tomorrow is another work day, but your quilt is gorgeous. You don't suffer from Adult ADD, do you.
Cherrybsixty, I know you are not trying to be funny because ADD is not a funny subject, but I had to laugh. Sorry. No, I just come from a rancher family - my Dad was a cowboy. I was raised by the creed that as long as there is daylight you keep busy. My family did not have 9 to 5 jobs so I was taught at an early age to make my life productive - which means you work from dawn to dark! It drives my husband nuts sometimes, because he could watch movies all weekend, and he thinks after 5 you should be just sitting watching TV. That is from the way he was raised and our jobs! I want to make the most out of every day of my life - DH is much more laid back then I am - it has been a joke between us for 30 years that I can't sit through more than one movie -- then I have to do something!

Nancy
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Found: Adorable Mission Style cabinet with a "The Free" SM :) Not sure what year it was made but most likely dates around 1910 - 1912. I really like the cabinet style and would love to modify it to fit my singer 206. Any suggestions on how to go about making this swap-out work?

Judy
Judy why in the world would you want to swap out that Free? I use my Free treadle posted here on page 627 for my piecing! I love that machine!

Nancy
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Judy, very nice Free machine and I just love the treadle cabinet! Congratulations.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Nancy and Judy, sorry if I butted in......just had to tell you I like your finds! :oops:
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Judy
Judy why in the world would you want to swap out that Free? I use my Free treadle posted here on page 627 for my piecing! I love that machine!

Nancy
Nancy that is a good question. If I had more space I wouldn't but unfortunately my sewing room seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Kinda like my dresser drawers; the cloths go in and then they come out a size smaller.

I even suggested to my DH that we might be able to hang SM's from the ceiling. Needless to say he didn't see the humor. lol. So my solution is to swap sewing machine heads in and out of the cabinets. It's a win-win. I don't have to respond to the question "so what are you going to do with that SM?" and I can use any of them that I want within minutes.

Judy
Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 AM

The Sun is shining and I am not motivated to work.... going to share this with my DH (wonderful man that may not see the attaction to SM's but never questions my sanity - lol)

Sewing Machine Hoarders Beware !

A recent study has indicated that Sewing machines give off certain Pheromones, that
actually hypnotize people and cause them to purchase ungodly number of Sewing Machines.

When stored in large quantities, the Sewing Machine Pheromones cause memory loss (CRS) and induce the nesting syndrome (similar to squirrel behavior before the onset of winter, i.e. storing food). It's also been noted the same Pheromones cause a pathological need to secret these sewing machine purchases away when taken home (or at least blend them into the existing collection) and when asked by a significant other if the sewing machine is new, the reply is "Oh that, I've had it for a while".

Sound tests have also revealed that Sewing Machines emit a very high-pitched sound, heard only by a select few people .When played backwards on an LP, the sounds are heard as chants "Buy me" ”Clean me” "Sew on me"!
Studies have also indicated that aliens have inhabited the earth, helping to spread
the effect that sewing machines have on the human population. They are called VSMS posters.

Modified to reflect SM Collectors
Un modified version can be viewed - http://www.quiltvisionusa.com/Jokes.html
(Originally published in August 1997 in the Western North Carolina Quilters Guild Newsletter) Written by Kathy (Smith) Harris, Tuscon AZ
Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 AM

The Sun is shining and I am not motivated to work.... going to share this with my DH (wonderful man that may not see the attaction to SM's but never questions my sanity - lol)

A recent study has indicated that Sewing machines give off certain Pheromones, that
actually hypnotize people and cause them to purchase ungodly number of Sewing Machines.

When stored in large quantities, the Sewing Machine Pheromones cause memory loss (CRS) and induce the nesting syndrome (similar to squirrel behavior before the onset of winter, i.e. storing food). It's also been noted the same Pheromones cause a pathological need to secret these sewing machine purchases away when taken home (or at least blend them into the existing collection) and when asked by a significant other if the sewing machine is new, the reply is "Oh that, I've had it for a while".

Sound tests have also revealed that Sewing Machines emit a very high-pitched sound, heard only by a select few people .When played backwards on an LP, the sounds are heard as chants "Buy me" ”Clean me” "Sew on me"!
Studies have also indicated that aliens have inhabited the earth, helping to spread
the effect that sewing machines have on the human population. They are called VSMS posters.

(Originally published in August 1997 in the Western North Carolina Quilters Guild Newsletter) Written by Kathy (Smith) Harris, Tuscon AZ
That's so cute. I'll buy that!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Soooooooo....THIS is my problem :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is hilarious and so true!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Well, that explains it!! Too cute.

:D :D :D