Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay here is the latest acquisition to my collection (I think :roll: ) an 1876- 1880's FC Henderson sewing machine. It has the automatic tensioner that was patented by Wilcox and Gibbs and was made available to other manufacturers in that era. This is the first time I have ever seen this name of machine but it is just like the Wanamaker, Eldridge, W&G, and a few others that sold this type of machine. The decals on this machine are complete and in perfect condition and after a test cleaning this machine will be museum quality!

Since the machine is in a homemade case I am going to put it on my 1870's W&W treadle I just restored and will make the cabinet along with the coffin top for the machine. One of these days I hope to find the right treadle and cabinet for the machine if I do not turn around and sell it first.

Billy
Wow Billy what a neat looking machine. When you get it cleaned up, put on the Wheeler and Wilson treadle, make a cabinet and coffin top, (geeze that sounds like a tall order) please send a picture for all of us to oooooh and aaaaah over! Do those type machines even have a bobbin or is it just a chain stitch?

Nancy
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Ok Purplefiend what is a Singer 237 Treadle? Love the coffin top treadle -- great drip pan!

Did you turn a modern machine into a treadle?

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy,
I am very happy that my son is talented enough to figure out how to make things like the drip pan. :D
The Singer 237 was made in Italy and offered as a treadle there and electric in the USA. I just did a motorectomy and removed the light. The hand wheel has a deep belt groove, it treadles beautifully and very easily.
It was made in 1968 does straight and zig zag only,bought it at a thrift shop for $20,the motor was burned out due to a stretch rubber belt that was too small. Its in very good shape.
I'd planned to treadle it anyway.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719wvBDUq

Sharon
Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Billy,
Lovely machine you have there! Are you going to do a motorectomy? Maybe treadle it?
Do I see a Singer 237 in your picture too?
Sharon W.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Billy,
Lovely machine you have there! Are you going to do a motorectomy? Maybe treadle it?
Do I see a Singer 237 in your picture too?
Sharon W.
It was originally a treadle but the former owner's Grand Pa built the case and put an appliance motor on it. The friction drive is from a wooden spool from an old spool of thread. :lol:

I have the treadle already restored and I will make the cabinet and coffin top later on when I have time. I still havent made up my mind if I am going to keep it or not.

Billy
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Billy,
That is a very nice machine that you picked up.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Billy,
I love it and it is going to have to have a good thorough cleaning before I get busy with it but I am going to see if I can get it to stitch before I tear it down for the cleaning. But I have way to many customers machines to take care of first and a few repaints to do.

Just wait until you see the Hot Pink 185K I am doing next!

Billy
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Billy,
I love it and it is going to have to have a good thorough cleaning before I get busy with it but I am going to see if I can get it to stitch before I tear it down for the cleaning. But I have way to many customers machines to take care of first and a few repaints to do.

Billy
I have a 185 but it is in to perfect of a condition to change it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM

That is a really neat machine, Billy. I have a "new" old machine that I found this weekend in an antique mall while visiting my daughter in Lexington, KY. The serial number is EF243454 and it was made in Great Britain. Interesting also is that it has a centennial badge commemorating the 100 years. I believe it is a 99k? A 3/4 machine, I think. The decals are good and it sews like a dream, now I have to clean her up! I paid 30.00 for her.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122248.jpe   attachment-122249.jpe   attachment-122250.jpe  
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
That is a really neat machine, Billy. I have a "new" old machine that I found this weekend in an antique mall while visiting my daughter in Lexington, KY. The serial number is EF243454 and it was made in Great Britain. Interesting also is that it has a centennial badge commemorating the 100 years. I believe it is a 99k? A 3/4 machine, I think. The decals are good and it sews like a dream, now I have to clean her up! I paid 30.00 for her.
Great machine JaneK! That is a 99k made July 29, 1949. I also have a 99k exactly like yours, a little older - 1936, but the same exact style - mine is posted on page 394 here!

Nancy
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 PM

Billy
Billy wasn't the 185 a 3/4 size green machine?

Nancy