Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM

See, like the other Red Eye but the cabinet is different. Such a pretty lady....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147381.jpe   attachment-147382.jpe  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:48 PM

WOW!!! What a beautiful machine.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Those of you who know Singer 66s....would you spend any time haggling over a rusty model (electric, no cabinet) being sold for $100?

I only got a quick look at it, but rust is plainly visible on all the exposed metal; in fact, the presser bar lifter is just about eaten away. The machine runs; it didn't have a needle or thread, so I'm not sure if it works properly when it's running.

What could I anticipate as the cost of starting from scratch to get this into working order? And would I want to put that kind of $$ into a 66?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Those of you who know Singer 66s....would you spend any time haggling over a rusty model (electric, no cabinet) being sold for $100?

I only got a quick look at it, but rust is plainly visible on all the exposed metal; in fact, the presser bar lifter is just about eaten away. The machine runs; it didn't have a needle or thread, so I'm not sure if it works properly when it's running.

What could I anticipate as the cost of starting from scratch to get this into working order? And would I want to put that kind of $$ into a 66?
66 is one of the most common machines, and not worth that type of effort. They seem to come out of the woodwork and find you.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
See, like the other Red Eye but the cabinet is different. Such a pretty lady....
That is a beautiful Redeye!

It is amazing how much we learn from this group. I knew the bobbins were wound with thread pieces to keep from wasting the thread. I never knew that people would take thread off of something and reuse it! Man, are we spoiled!

Nancy
Old 12-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
They seem to come out of the woodwork and find you.
You're right! I WASN't looking for it, so I wondered if finding it could be some sort of omen, despite its condition. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I never knew that people would take thread off of something and reuse it! Man, are we spoiled!

Nancy
I remember Mother reusing thread from a hem when she raised/lowered the hem. I don't know if it was because we lived in the country and seldom went to town, because we were poor or because she was thrifty. Probably all three.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have a FW 222, and I got a reproduction manual for it, but I would really like to know if anyone has a GOOD diagram for where to oil it. The one in the manual is far from clear, and I would like a much better, bigger one if there is such a thing.
I have the original manual for the 222 that I can probably locate after Christmas. I had to move everything around to get my Gammill in and I'm still in a state of disorganization.

Have you checked the Singer site in the interim? The manual they have there seems pretty clear as I recall.

Joy
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Jeanneb52; What a beautiful RedEye you have and decals in such nice condition. Beautiful cabinet, too. I think mine are in decent shape but it's so dirty right now, it's hard to tell. Will need to go get the GoJo minus pumice, perhaps tomorrow, to start cleaning it. Lots of patience and cottonballs will also be needed. My mom had a Singer treadle. I wonder what happened to the old gal or even if my mom knows/remembers?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM

I have some empty wooden spoils from the early '60s that cost $0.15 and it was 300 yds of thread. I remember my Mom being fugal with thread and about needles. But, then you could buy three yards of cotton fabric for a dollar. But, our ancestors were more reserve than we will ever be. That is why this art form is ever present. That is why most of you all are so very talented. Because of your roots. Okay that's my sermon for the holiday season, with that said, let me say MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone in the 'shop'. Thank you Billy for being the author of this thread ('Ye Ole Vintage Shop,') and have a much deserve rest.