Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from gorgeous Washington State >

Hi from gorgeous Washington State

Hi from gorgeous Washington State

Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 PM

I am a new member. I am retired nurse with six years of quilting under my belt that is sadly growing wider by the year. I hope to meet some great quilters here and talk about what fun it is to finish a wonderful quilt and make someone happy with it. I have three adult kids and one 18 year old granddaughter who is six feet tall. She is gorgeous. Well, hope everyone is quilting up a storm this new year. bye for now. Lin
Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 AM

Welcome aboard, you will love it here. There is a lot of helpful people on this site.

Hellcat
Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Hello there ... it is nice to meet fine people on here, quilters are special.. even if you are brand new, and just learning to thread a needle. I am Sharon and I live in Arkansas.. been quilting...off and on for 25 years. I have lots of ideas about quilting, and well I have learned most of my 'skill' from hit and miss technique. I am one who enjoys sitting in the evening, ... out in the mountains, in the cabin we built... wood in the heater, and sew... and well, it is a comforting relaxing craft. I just tend to get into another world, of peace and quiet....regain reality, take time to hear myself think...and reconnect with myself. When I sit to quilt, my husband will say...."don't you ever stop working::" I just can't convince him, that quilting is not work, but more of a therapy..
It is a work of Love.... that is for sure. I always embrodiery a small Heart on the back of the quilt.. that shows it was made with love.... and sign my name...on the quilt..embrodiery...and year it was finished..afterall, it is something for future generations to enjoy.. they need to know who made the quilt..
Enjoy...Sharon
Old 01-23-2007, 11:15 AM

HI LIN! Welcome! I am Nancy, from WI. I have some similar interests......am VERY involved in my church, I have been quilting for (only) a year, but have made 2 childrens quilts and one (large) twin for my son who is serving in Afghanistan.......(we pray for him very much!!) I also have made several table-runners......and REALLY enjopy this art. I am a baker by choice of job, so I get up at 3A.........and stasrt work by 4A. I LOVE my job also! I, too, am very busy....my children (2 sons) loive in Maine, married andI have 2 grandaughters and one grandson. I dont see them but twice a year.....but as oft as possible! This is a wonderful site! You will enjoy it. It is hard to keep up with all of the topics! Keep on quilting and Blessings! nancy
Old 01-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Hi quiltinlily, I am also a retired nurse. I live on the east coast in a home we built a couple years ago on a small bay with a beautiful view of Cadillac Mountain (Part of Acadia National Park) and other mountains in the other direction. I started quilting a couple years ago with an adult ed course. I learned a lot but there is a lot that I have to learn and wish there were more courses around here. I watch the quilting shows on TV but think I would enjoy in-person learning better. There is a quilt group nearby that I keep meaning to join but haven't gotten around to it yet. I live in a very small town and have no close neighbors.
I also have 3 grown kids and 2 grandkids. One of my daughters and her daughter moved in with us a year ago. Going through a rough divorce with abuse involved and fighting to limit or prevent her daughter from being with her father due to the abuse. This has taken up most of my time and energy. I try to quilt but have to hide out otherwise I have a two year old "helping" me by pushing buttons or stepping on the presser foot. Pretty soon they will be in their own place very close by so I think I'll be able to do more for pleasure.
I haven't spent as much time on this site as I would like to but when I have I always learn something. Good luck with your quilting.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM

HI Laura............are you in Maine?? I have been to Acadia....hikinig on Bubble Rock? Sound close by?? Nancy
Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Hi, Yes we are pretty close to that portion of Acadia. We look at Cadillac so as the crow flies (as my father used to say) we are close. By road we are about an hour away. We are a half hour further east from Ellsworth, which you had to have gone through to get to Acadia. We moved here from southern Maine, near Portland.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:35 AM

HI again, Laura....what a small world, my kids live in Lewiston area! I LOVE it there! I only wish I was there.....as my grand babies are there.........but the midwest is where I'll stay for the time being. I have had some health probs.....so changing jobs mid-term could be a disaster for me financially! It is wonderful here as well. As a matter of fact, the weather is much the same, our winter is somewhat shorter than yours, but as far a temp., it is very much the same. If we get some weather, seems like the kids get it in 2 days time. Of course, we don't have the Noreasters as you, nor the repurcussions from huricains... :roll: That is OK!

Nice to meet you...........stay in touch to talk! Nancy
Old 07-21-2007, 04:09 AM

Welcome. Your post touched my heart.

Try to find time to join the local quilting group. I also live in a small town and have found that the quilting friends are the best! They are there to motivate you in your craft but become friends in your heart. It sounds like you need some love & hope in your life right now and these people will be there for you in more ways than you know.

Blessings

Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 AM

Yesterday , when I was reading through the postings; there was a lady that said she just lost her house and everything in a fire a few days ago. Now I can't find that topic again. Does anyone remember reading it or where it was posted? Thanks Elaine