Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Embroidering design on sash >

Embroidering design on sash

Embroidering design on sash

Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM

I do the same thing, except I use a fusible, washaway stabillizer that is made by floriani. When i' m done doing the embroidery, I steam it with the iron & the stabalizer wrinkles up & can be removed. Easily
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Thank you so much for this lesson as I am very new to Embroidery also and I am sure I will use this down the line!!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Hey yet another idea to ponder over...really cool....I have to say, :cry: That on Saturday, I picked up my 2 new machines (Janome 6600P, and the 350E embroidery) and can't even set them up...noppers, there they sit waiting...I'm currently working on a quilt that is due by the end of the week for a auction...and I need to rearrange my sewing room...but it is sure great to see new ideas....
Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM

It's funny how I got into embroidery and quilting.

A couple of months ago my wife, the quilter in the family, brought home a used Baby Lock embroidery machine. It sat around for a couple of weeks and she did not use it. I got curious and started playing around with it. It was neat, but very limited in function so I traded it in on a Brother PE780D.

I made several Disney quilt blocks for my wife to use in a quilt, but she was busy on another project, so I decided to try making a quilt.

She had me using her 40+ year old Singer, that did not cut it for me. I went and bought myself a new Brother Runway.

Now I'm hooked and it is something my wife and I enjoy doing together.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM

If your method works continue. A suggestion:1. Hoop only your stabilizer. 2. Use basting spray on the back of your fabric where you plan to embroidery. 3.Place your fabric right side up on the hooped stabilizer. 4. Then stitch your design. The basting spray will hold your fabric to the stabilizer. You can then release the stabilizer when you have your stitching done. (I used wash away stabilizer when I did mine and just put the designs in the sink to remove the stabilizer.Wrapped them in a towel to remove excess moisture and let them air dry. Then pressed. I used flannel rectangles and they stayed true to size.) This is only an idea. It worked for me.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Thank-you. Thank-you. Thank-you!!!! I have a machine with the same 4 inch limitation and have had a strong desire to add embroidery to a quilt. You've given me a starting point.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by one&only
If your method works continue. A suggestion:1. Hoop only your stabilizer. 2. Use basting spray on the back of your fabric where you plan to embroidery. 3.Place your fabric right side up on the hooped stabilizer. 4. Then stitch your design. The basting spray will hold your fabric to the stabilizer. You can then release the stabilizer when you have your stitching done. (I used wash away stabilizer when I did mine and just put the designs in the sink to remove the stabilizer.Wrapped them in a towel to remove excess moisture and let them air dry. Then pressed. I used flannel rectangles and they stayed true to size.) This is only an idea. It worked for me.
I know first-hand this method does work. This would certainly work for the sashes. I have not done flannel, but sounds like a great idea to try out.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 AM

Necessity is the mother of invention. And some of us don't like being told we can't do something.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 AM

Purvissp, You did great. My suggestion, also, use a wide piece of fabric the next time you do any embroidery in the hoop..at least 5" wide. Using a stabilizer is also a better idea than a fusible interfacing. You'll find better help on this Board than at most stores. Eiltcoq.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 AM

I embroider napkins with my 4x4 hoop. I hoop Glad Press 'n Seal with the sticky side up. Place napkin and pin each side close to the hoop. Float stabilizer underneath and stitch. I even repair my press 'n seal for the next napkin by placing a smaller piece underneath ... just need enough to stick to the one hooped. Never had a problem and have stitched dozens of them. I use polyester thread and for the white ones, bleach in the laundry when needed.