Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Decided not to let this one get away... >

Decided not to let this one get away...

Decided not to let this one get away...

Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Default Decided not to let this one get away...

Saw this one Sat. I went back today and bought the little New Home light running machine for 15.00. She is about 95% clean and intact so just a little cleanup and a new foot pedal and she should be purring right along. She has some really neat things going on too, like a cool bobbin winding arm that swings all the way back and forth under the hand wheel, her tension assembly is on the face plate, her light is up inside of the casting over the bed, she has a cool bobbin case release lever. I love levers on machines... Has a grease pot that is on the right side and she is wired differently than I have seen before. Well, here are the pics.

I then drove up to Redding with my iced caramel macchiato and picked up a really nice Golden Deluxe Touch and Sew 750 for 15.00 that still had all of her parts and is very clean. I love the touch and sews. I picked up a box of cams for her at another store on the way home and a few other boxes of goodies too. A nice older couple was downsizing and I looked at a treadle they had listed on CL with NO pictures because someone else did the ad for them, so I really had no choice but to go to their home and have a look see, it was in sad shape and so was the cabinet so I kindly said no and as much as I wanted to help them out I just couldn't do it.

This red seam ripper was in one of the boxes I brought home but I have never seen one with a metal rake on the other end. What IS that thing for? All in all it was quite a haul today. I really didn't NEED any of the items I found and brought home. My bad... I am so glad that my dear sweet hubby loves me unconditionally!
Attached Thumbnails img_5433.jpg   img_5435.jpg   img_5439.jpg   img_5447.jpg   img_5445.jpg  

img_5450.jpg   img_5451.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM

At $15 each I would have a hard time resisting too. It's a pretty New Home, no pics of the T & S? I like the seam ripper but don't know what the other end is for either.
Rodney
Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Okay, just for you and because Anastasia I think? always says No PIcs! it didn't happen..LOL Most of the time when I find the T&S's the bobbin area has been stripped of everything so I was happy to see this one complete. I can't find much on my New Home. It doesn't weigh very much so I am wondering it is an aluminum cast frame like the featherweights? They say F model meant it had a knee lever. It appears to be 1949ish. Also has AHR 914654 for serial number. I will have to call them tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails img_5452.jpg   img_5453.jpg   img_5454.jpg   img_5455.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 03-18-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM

LOL yes! That's me.

Nice scores! Enjoy your new machines.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM

I love that New Home! I so want to get one like that, but one hasn't come my way yet.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 AM

I think that if the seam ripper is used as designed, with the ball between the layers of fabric, and the sharp point outside of the fabric, and pushed along the stitch line to cut the threads between the fabric layers, the threads can end up with one thread being cut at every stitch, while the other thread remains in one piece for a distance. The sharp point can be used to slip under the longer thread to loosen it for removal by pulling on it by hand. The “rake” is then used like a brush to scrub the remaining short pieces of cut thread to pop them out of the fabric.

They're making one now with a rubber-like ball on the end to rub the short threads out of the fabric so that they don't have to be picked out one by one.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM

FYI, the hand wheel on your new machine turns backwards. And yes, it is aluminum. Be sure that you put something between the bobbin winder tire and the hand wheel to prevent the tire from flattening.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 AM

My newest T&S is a 648. The bobbin area looks about the same but there are significant changes in the top tension and thread path.
Rodney
Edit: I hope the red sharpy comes out. Why do people do that?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I think that if the seam ripper is used as designed, with the ball between the layers of fabric, and the sharp point outside of the fabric, and pushed along the stitch line to cut the threads between the fabric layers, the threads can end up with one thread being cut at every stitch, while the other thread remains in one piece for a distance. The sharp point can be used to slip under the longer thread to loosen it for removal by pulling on it by hand. The “rake” is then used like a brush to scrub the remaining short pieces of cut thread to pop them out of the fabric.

They're making one now with a rubber-like ball on the end to rub the short threads out of the fabric so that they don't have to be picked out one by one.

CD in Oklahoma
Thank you, Yes. I told DH last night that I thought it helped to rake out the itty bits of threads after ripping seams. It was a logical conclusion after I sat and thought about it for a minute..LOL

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I love that New Home! I so want to get one like that, but one hasn't come my way yet.
If I come across another I will snag it for you! I have passed on about 5 of these so they have come up often for sale. Were you looking for the one with the little round motor housing that is attached to the post?

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
FYI, the hand wheel on your new machine turns backwards. And yes, it is aluminum. Be sure that you put something between the bobbin winder tire and the hand wheel to prevent the tire from flattening.
Thank you so much for that info.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
My newest T&S is a 648. The bobbin area looks about the same but there are significant changes in the top tension and thread path.
Rodney
Edit: I hope the red sharpy comes out. Why do people do that?
I don't know but it does take me about 20 irritating minutes with soft scrub and other cleaners to get most of it removed!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 AM

re: the New Home, yes me too, I've been wanting to add one of those to the mix. New Homes and Nationals attract me too much! I keep watching them on auction, but I don't want to pay the shipping. Early on I passed on one in a cabinet, because I was leary of finding orphan needles and bobbins. I no longer worry about that, not sure why. I myself will stay away from the models with the motor "sort of" casting as part of the SM head. Not a good design IMO.