To do list - Ack!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Whenever I have one to fix or service for someone else, I try to get it done and out of the house. One less machine in the way. The exception is my moms machine (the Pfaff with the leftover screws from my dad servicing it) I keep pretending I don't see it sitting there, lol.

Cari
Old 11-11-2014, 11:43 PM

My DH tells me that I have 20 waiting in line...shhhhh, it's our secret, there are others in hiding. Amazing how they look like end tables when well draped and assume other disguises. Now that cooler weather is here I can get back to working on the finish of the cabinets outside again. I need some boxes made and I have at least 2 machines that I haven't done anything to at all. One is a lovely German machine and the other a Bernina 1230 (one model up from my "best" machine). Besides the finish on the cabinets, I need to make a list of the parts that I need for the other "20" LOL. So much to do and so little time!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 AM

Since I'm retired, that 'to do' list sounds more like a job than retirement! lol
Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I don't even want to think about my list! I have lots of machines here to service and have been seriously ill (better now) so haven't done any. But I think I am at a place, health wise, where I could do at least a bit on them. I'm not as patient now as I was when I felt better and we know meching machines takes patience. Rather than service machines I'll only give away, the goal being to get them out of the house, or machines others have left with me to fix, it makes more sense to service first those that I want to use. Or does it? Maybe I should fix other people's machines first, although I'm doing it for free? What would you do?

Cricket
Cricket, I usually try to balance them. One for me, one to sell, with the goal of getting them all done eventually. I would NOT fix other people's machines for free. You'll burn out doing that. I like to have something fun going for me and one that I can re-home and perhaps make just enough off of to pay for parts I need for mine! Its a hobby after all! It should be fun.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Cricket I hope you feel better. You might want to do a few of the easier ones first. Pick ones that just need a simple cleaning and don't set any time frames. Work on them when you want to, not because you have to. I had to learn to think small when I was first diagnosed with cancer. No more heavy lifting and to start with I was either in bed or on crutches. I had to pick small projects I could do a little at a time on while I was sitting down.
Rodney
Old 11-12-2014, 07:40 PM

I can't get to my machines. I have two quilts ready to quilt, a wedding one for my son and future daughter which I am ready to start cutting, and a baby quilt I plan to do by hand during the winter. I want to get a few baby quilts done and put away. I'm starting to have a lot of trouble with arthritis in my left hand and I would like to have a few hand quilted baby quilts put away for any grands we might have in our future. My quilting group has 1new machine and 5antiques. No one ever wants to use the new machine. We all love the old ones!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:51 AM

I would REALLY never get anything done if I made a list...although the list is always in my head! What I do write down is one or two things to do. One thing I do wish I could get started on is the seemingly overwhelming job of refurbishing an old treadle Singer. And there's the always-on-the-top-of-the-list reorganizing of the sewing room. All of that may remain on the paper for a while but eventually some of it will get done. In the meantime I am (although secretly) enjoying the spontaneity of retirement. I do wish you well on checking off your list of to-dos.