Electrify a tredle?

Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 AM

Sherri,

It's easy to do.
>First, remove the leather belt from the hand wheel. Don't have to remove it from the machine if you don't want to.

>Second, acquire a motor / light / controller assembly for a portable machine. A factory OEM Singer unit would be the best in my opinion and screw it on. Two screws. One for the motor and one for the light.
The motor bracket screw might be hard to come by, they are an odd thread that no hardware store carries.
Sew-Classic used to have them.
The light bracket will be either use the thumb screw that holds the inspection plate on, or a smaller screw hidden by the inspection plate. I believe Sew-Classic has those too.
>Three, figure out what belt to use, put one on.

>Four, plug it in and start sewing.

If you do it like this, using Singer parts, you can un-convert it anytime you want with no adverse effects to the treadle at all.
If you can't find an OEM Singer unit Sew-Classic and others have motor / controller kit's that look like the one in this thread. { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t183512.html }
It's easy to add a light to the wiring and you've still not altered the original treadle.

Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM

My 40's 66 is is in a treadle cabinet, works great. It was very easy to convert to treadle.