Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours??? >

Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours???

Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours???

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Featherweight .... how often do you oil yours???

I bought a great little Featherweight a few weeks ago and FINALLY had a chance to take her out of her case and give her a try .... she works just great and so fun to sew on.

But, but, but .... do you REALLY need to oil a Featherweight almost every time you use one??? And most of the places have screws to be undone and then done back up again; PLUS the bottom to take off???

Do you DO THIS and HOW OFTEN???? I did place a few drops of oil in places I could easily get to: *not the bottom or the *needle place ...... (my bad).

I can see where I will really enjoy this little sewing wonder ..... but just wondering IF you guys really do oil as much as they recommend!!

thanks!!

jody
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM

I only oil when the sound of the machine changes, you get to know when it is telling you to oil!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM

If you wait to oil until the sound of the machine changes, you're putting extra wear and tear on the machine.

Rule of thumb is to oil after 8 hours of sewing, or every six months if you're not using it often. You also want to oil and then sew, instead of oiling and putting the machine away without running it. (To spread the oil around)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!!! I guess I was confused, as the little manual (how cute it is!!), says to oil EVERY DAY!!! And I thought, wow, that's quite a chore!!! I mean, to have to unscrew all that stuff *every* day!!! I feel a lot better now!!!

jody
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Jody,

The Singer 221-1 Featherweight manual says at the top of page 24:

"To insure easy running, the machine requires oiling and if used continuously it should be oiled each day."

The qualifying part of the sentence is; if used continuously. So, what that means is the more you use the machine, the more it needs oiling.

The next line says: "With moderate use, an occasional oiling is sufficient."

They don't define 'occasional' but I'd oil it twice a year if it didn't get used continuously.

Joe
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Also, it seems likea lot, but once you've done it a couple times it's really quick. There are just the 2 thumb screws to take off covers and the spool pin plate you can leave just loose enough for it to move without a screwdriver. I bet it takes me less than 2 minutes now.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:07 AM

Hmmm...I do oil my machines when I'm starting a project that will keep me sewing a lot but I should probably oil them more often. I need to get a little quicker at it because I sure can't do it in a couple of minutes.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 AM

Jody, I had the same questions regarding the oiling schedule for my 301 (the Featherweight's big sister). It was a bit of a surprise to know it should be oiled so frequently, but it turned out not to be so hard to do. Not sure how well the answer applies to a Featherweight, but here is what Candace wrote regarding the oiling on a 301:

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
As for oiling and greasing. I do a major greasing of gears and lubing as the diagrams show when I get the machine. Then, I just put a little oil in the oil holes on the bed and top of the machine when I've sewed about 8 hours or so on it( I don't really keep track, just sort of guestimate). I also try to remember just a dot of oil in the hook race. The gears need grease, not oil. I use Triflow products, but Singer lubricant is fine if you have that. You do not need to open up the machine and oil all those areas every 8 hours. That's a once every 6 mos. to a year job, depending on use of course. Some may be able to go longer than that if not the machine isn't used frequently.

You shouldn't have oil flinging anywhere because you should be using it sparingly and not dousing the machine. Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
If you wait to oil until the sound of the machine changes, you're putting extra wear and tear on the machine.

Rule of thumb is to oil after 8 hours of sewing, or every six months if you're not using it often. You also want to oil and then sew, instead of oiling and putting the machine away without running it. (To spread the oil around)
Charlee, you would think that would be common sense about oiling and then sewing, but Nooooooooooo. I only just started doing that.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Again, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I feel so much better now ... whew ..... was so worried all I would be doing is the oiling!!!!

And Buzzin ... I have saved that info. Especially the twice a year complete oil/grease part!!

jody