Freds stash

Old 01-10-2015, 10:58 PM

Default Freds stash

fred wasn't home his brother died. rob his son was there ...

In the 90's robs mom died, there was two sons, the other one cleaned the property up. The bus and ice cream truck body containing the really old machines and doll where scraped . The chicken coop tore down all machines in cabinets and cases moved into mom's work shop , which is a 50's 10x50 trailer house where they sit today. The collect of dolls was sold as a lot back then, any machines that were what they saw as nice were moved into the old house which is locked.

In the trailer there has to be 80+ I wasn't able to move stuff enough to get into the bedroom, there are more in there. most of what I saw is dashboard, afew 15 clones, bit I only open afew cases and no cabinets. every thing is super damp almost wet, the cases latches where very hard to open and close, drawers are swollen shut

There is two treadle is there , rod says three more in the house not sure of what else ...

The one new home is the oldest machine I saw..

To take these photo's it was leaning over cabinets 3 deep, and on the floor shooting under cabinets at machine I could not really see.

now I have only seen about 10% of whats in there. I'll be going back soon.. in days

This first is leaning in the back door shooting to the front. that trails is at best 12" wide. cabinets are 3 deep on the left side. cased machines under those, right side one deep and cased machines

cords boxes of parts , foot pedals every where ..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505586[/ATTACH]
one of the singer treadles, maybe mid 20's plain jane, the other iis singer mid 30's tube leg no photo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505588[/ATTACH]

Ooooooooooooo the pink Brother
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505595[/ATTACH]
notice the spoked hand wheel hanging from above
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505596[/ATTACH]
a white and a ?????? I couldn't see these well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505597[/ATTACH]
naked lady new home, there had to be 5 of those.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505598[/ATTACH]

example of what I had to work with to many cases to open. and your not even seeing the cabinet machines, at least 30+ with who hows what inside but they are loaded.

there's a martha washinton and a singer that look like a treadle but has the straight wooden legs often a 201 inside, the rest is library style

so there are machines there, no Idea if fred will what $$$$, I really didn't see anything I want, but maybe that old new home..

when I go back I'll take more photo's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505599[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0321.jpg   100_0326.jpg   100_0324.jpg   100_0328.jpg   100_0318.jpg  

Old 01-11-2015, 01:04 AM

Very interesting - to say the least! What was Fred's original plan - or is this a collector's nightmare? Love the white carry case.....

ps 2 of the attachments didn't show....
Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Banned

I still want to be your best friend, lol. I can't see the first two pics you posted, so the first one I saw is the pink Brother. I don't have one like that one in any color. That's the kind of place I could spend all day just looking around and be happy. Trash or treasures? It depends on who's looking at it.

Cari
Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Wow!! it sounds like it was a little overwhelming!! You probably will find some very interesting ones!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Freds plan:

Ok he is now 87 yrs old. When I first saw this, the years was between 1987 / 1990, a yard sale he and his wife were having. rural country setting, about a 20 acre place. he and her both junkers, hoarders, collectors.

This was a womans paradise. she had a old chicken coop/barn as her stash area and dirty thing workshop, she had the ice cream truck body as another stash area, ANNNNND

he moved in the late 50's Mobil home / trailer house, make the kitchen counter top into clean work benches, removed the center bed room, carpeted the entire place, setup a brick hearth and wood stove, This was her play house, for Dolls and sewing.

she dies some where in the 90's. the son that is now dead. cleans things up. Now from here I have to guess, Freds love of his wife, maybe as a shrine to there time together ( which would have been 30+ yrs) they kept all her favorite machines in her play house.

I could tell I was the first person in there , from what ever year all this had been done. or first to open any machine cases. There is also a small collection of elec table lamps in there, a few empty card board boxes, rear bedroom is just piled full, can't ever tell whats in there ...

now this property is still a mess. or a small gold mine. There afew 40's trucks, tractor some very old cars , plows. camp trailers so on, like 10 acres worth.

So, This place is the greatest example of what happens to our prize collections 20+ yrs after we die.

son Rod does have one of his mom ornate machines at his house, he was smiling telling me about it .. they have saved mom's collection, He is very sure Fred will cut loose with the machines

so 20+ yrs after mom is gone her toys ? collection lives on.. her nice stuff is in that locked down house,, which appears to be No No land. aka for Freds eyes only.

This pic shows here . again viewing from the back door, Thats 40 feet ? of machines, 3 cabinet deep on the left 1 cabinet deep on the right. 70% of the in case machines on the floor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505621[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0316.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

Wow. Just wow.

Cari
Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Dang...
I see plenty of machines I would be interested in but yes, it is scary what can happen to your collections (of anything actually) after you die or just get too old to manage anymore.

I have to keep my collection small. We don't have ten acres to spread out in and I want to be able to access my machines and sew with them as the mood strikes. They also need to be protected when not in use. For me this means clean up and get running the machines I have, get them in cases and figure out some sort of shelving to keep them on. That shouldn't take too long. Maybe just a couple years. I also have to refine what it is I truly want and then stick with that. Right now I like (and want) them all. There's far too many interesting machines out there, not to mention the cases and cabinets they're in and their attachments.

What I don't want is a big pile of machines that will be a burden to whoever has to clean up after I'm gone.
Rodney
Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 PM

cari that pink brother is in a stand, and open like shown. I did not try to raise it, it seems I could see plates missing. so far in raising machine or working latches every thing is very stiff close to being rusted shut. the cabinets a super damp, the wood is swollen. I found that the flap piece that we have to lift on cabinet to get the machine up is stuck on many cabinets. Thats why I just left them alone. I'm in hopes of finding a 301 in one of those.

I did find a 3/4 size 15 clone, and a machine similar to the kenmore FW wanta be, ? 10 20 ?, every thing in there is in need of a full redo.

any way the pink is the dull pink. as i see on most pink machines. My cousin james has a pink atlas, old est one I had seen yet , that pink is very bright, super nice machine, I made a denim quilt on it. so nice I gave it back to him saying keep this for your daughter
Old 01-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Banned

I'm a huge Brother fan, I have 14 of them and all but 3 get used. One was damaged in shipping I haven't been able to fix it and two of them I need to fix the tension. A 3/4 size clone would be a nice find. My pink Brother is nice and bright on the front but a little faded on the back, not unusual for a machine that spent time by a window. There's one cabinet I'd love to find and that's the Brother convertable electric/treadle cabinet. I've seen pics of two nice ones but never seen one in person.

Cari
Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM

I've wonder about the fading of pink.

a brother treadle ? Hmmm never seen one. I have that Toyota treadle, which is the only japanese treadle I have seen even on yahoo japanese. The one listed there is mine..

The 3/4 clone wasn't black , seems like it's a VS machine, I didn't turn it over and look for a name.

to go through these machines I'll need to be very careful lifting and turning them, trying to not damage cases and stands. very thing in that trailer is right at the point of no return. most the cased machine are the cloth covered cases, the stands act like they may come part moving them or just lifting machine up.

This stuff has been touched in 20+ years so you know what that means. fall apart city