Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Free Westinghouse Type E  Golden Machine ...Questions >

Free Westinghouse Type E Golden Machine ...Questions

Free Westinghouse Type E Golden Machine ...Questions

Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Default Free Westinghouse Type E Golden Machine ...Questions

Hello, Some nice person donated this machine for a mission project. The motor runs, it is in great shape. I do not have a manual and am not sure how to thread it. My first test sew (guessing on threading) was not promising. Before i go any further, does anyone have information on this machine. I am very interested in diagrams of the tension adjuster.

Thanks,

Bonnie
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Bonnie,I just acquire the same machine and have all the paper work on it and the book

Bonnie,I just acquire the same machine and have all the paper work on it and the book

Originally Posted by Bonnie58 View Post
Hello, Some nice person donated this machine for a mission project. The motor runs, it is in great shape. I do not have a manual and am not sure how to thread it. My first test sew (guessing on threading) was not promising. Before i go any further, does anyone have information on this machine. I am very interested in diagrams of the tension adjuster.

Thanks,

Bonnie
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking those need special needles and the hand wheel turns away from you
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM

These need a short needle, called a CC or a Boye 2 1/2 or a 38Y1, or a 40F1.
It does not use a 206x13 which will eventually damage the bobbincase and affect the tension. The 38Y1 has a different timing length than the 206x13. There are many places on the internet that will say to use the 206, please don't.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm thinking those need special needles and the hand wheel turns away from you
Old 01-06-2023, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by basia1023 View Post
Bonnie,I just acquire the same machine and have all the paper work on it and the book
I realize these post are from 2012 but was hoping to get a copy of the manual and book for the free-westinghouse type E. I've spent 2 days now trying 2 find anything useful about this machine with very little luck. I'm chomping at the bit to start using it but I know if I do so without reading up on it i will undoubtedly tear it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Old 01-06-2023, 05:54 PM

Welcome, Aj1982. I'm wondering if the manual found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...-Home-Nlb.html would help. It looks like it might be very similar.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 01-09-2023, 11:17 AM

I have had a handful of these machines with the "New Home" rotary system, and the cast iron ones have all sewn beautiful stitches, smooth running also (I have an aluminum body poor man's FW version, noisy and not so smooth). Needles are hard to find, Boye 2 1/2 or CC1221, and bobbins are even harder; hopefully you have some of each.

If your machine looks like the one pictured in the manual Janey linked to, then it should get you started.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:45 PM

Thank you, Joe, for the reminder about the correct needles.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 01-10-2023, 05:33 PM

Thank you all so very much. That was the correct manual for my exact machine. I'm so super excited to start sewing with it. Again thank you all oh so very very much.