Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am in tears ..  my beautiful 223 was destroyed in shipment >

I am in tears .. my beautiful 223 was destroyed in shipment

I am in tears .. my beautiful 223 was destroyed in shipment

Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM

melmerr1 - All I can say is WOW!!!! So sorry that this happened to you! What a disappointment and shock when you opened it! Hope they are receptive and try to make things right.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 AM

Ignorance! Or just plain carelessness. So sorry you received it in this condition.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
Ignorance! Or just plain carelessness. So sorry you received it in this condition.
This also happened to me when I purchased a Singer with the round wooden top. It was broken beyond repair...not packed properly. I just let it go and donated it, I am over it now. Sorry this happened to you.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

HOW sad. I had requested on my Grandfather's passing that the family oil lamp (converted to electricity) would be shipped to me. His second wife's daughter who was in her late 60s didn't take the time to make sure it was carefully professional packaged for shipping. This was a hand painted half glass shade. When it arrived, no bubble rack and the shade had be broken into numerous pieces in a quarter of the shade. They didn't even pay for insurance. For years, I made sure her mother didn't want for anything.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
What a shame! Last week I received a Dressmaker which is identical to one that I have in my collection. I ordered it on e-bay and received it 4 days later and was well boxed. No visible damage on the exterior, but when it was unpacked, the portable carry case was broken into 20 pieces and the motor mount was partially ripped from the motor. I have not had much success with FedEx as the carrier. The machine was bubble wrapped and placed in a box and that box was placed in a larger box filled with peanuts. There were 6 red labels placed on the box stating "FRGILE-THIS SIDE UP" and the careless employees of FedEx still managed to destroy the merchandise. I notified the seller with pictures and received an immediate refund and was told to keep the machine in hopes that it could be repaired and just toss the broken case. My guess is that FedEx dropped the package from a height of about 3-4 feet flat on it's bottom and the 30+ lb. machine went through the plastic carrycase like melted butter. The machine has been repaired and up and running. Remember the video on TV recently showing both major carriers throwing package over the fence-one being a flat screen TV. Go figure!

Soman2

The other Rodney
If there was no visible damage on the outside of the box, I'd say that the inside packaging was insufficient. I generally pack machines and cases separately. Packaging should be sufficient to handle a 3-4 foot drop.

Most package handling is automated, and with the huge volume of packages being processed, "Fragile" stickers are basically worthless.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM

Bought 6 from different Goodwills across the country - only 1 was damaged and they gave me back every dime.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM

1. That's really bad packing and such a shame it happened to what looks like a very nice machine.

2. You had your hopes on getting a beautiful machine and rank carelessness/ignorance dashed them.

3. These things happen sometimes and the machine, while beautiful, isn't a rare one. I hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

4. Demand a refund. A full refund. Accept nothing less.

5. If you get to keep the machine, it's very salvageable. Motors (and their casings), lights, pedals are often found on eBay. They can be replaced.

Your 223 is not totally destroyed. While the damage is inexcusable and severe, it can be repaired.

I purchased a White Dial-And-Sew on eBay last year and that machine was TOTALLY destroyed during shipment. The seller wrapped it in one layer of newspaper and tossed it in a box.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM

update on my 223. they gave me full refund and I kept the machine. after drying the tears and getting some quiet time, I took a closer look. the case is totally destroyed. think you could make toothpicks with what was left. and the sawdust and chips from the case were everywhere in the machine. I cleaned it really well, took off as many parts and cleaned them as I could and oiled it well. the motor is trashed and there are some pretty good dents / gouges in the faceplate and the back plate. but all in all it is repairable. so I will get it running again. I am thinking about painting it. there are a lot of cuts and scratches in the body paint. Has anyone ever painted one of these machines. and even though it would not be 'stock'... I am thinking of a different color . just for fun...
Old 03-18-2015, 03:13 PM

Well hey, that's good news! Lemons, you are now lemonade!

I've never painted a machine but I've thought about it! I don't have any that need it, yet, but I think yours qualifies! That also means it might be easier for you to replace the motor since you could get one in a different color and it would just get painted over.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:11 PM

I'm really glad you're going to try to save it. That is very good news. Who knows -- it may turn out to be your favorite machine.