I Have Angered The Wife.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 AM

I decided to post this as a separate question or questions..
I would like to get the model 27 running again as a hand crank machine. It doesn't have a motor or hand crank boss on the column.

Would it be a sin to drill the column of the machine to accept a reproduction handcrank?
The other (most likely ugly) option would be to cobble together a mount for the crank on whatever base I build for it.
Rodney
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM

I'm the same Rodney, I only buy machines I really like and that aren't like any of my other machines... so it's hard to figure out which ones "need" to go. Some of them definitely do though

Not sure if there's a back story to the 27, but would you consider changing it for a HC model, maybe a 15 if you could find one? I guess if it's been in the family you wouldn't consider...

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One of my biggest problems is I like them all. It makes it hard to part with any of them but I am considering selling one or two mainly because of the space issues.
Rodney
Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
....I would like to get the model 27 running again as a hand crank machine. It doesn't have a motor or hand crank boss on the column.
Rodney
How about turning it into a “Magnificent Miriam Hand-operated Thread Injector”?

....by adding a suicide steering wheel spinner knob to it? Do you have one of those yet? I’ve got two of them now.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 AM

I'm not against it. I don't particularly like the idea of drilling the column to mount the crank but I don't think it's cosmetically good enough to be of interest to a collector either. If I was a serious collector I would hold out for one in better condition. I do have a 99 that needs a motor or a handcrank. I could put one on that but it still leaves the question of what to do with the 27. Maybe I'll just mount a spinner knob on the wheel and call it good. No mods to the machine that way and Jim showed one the other day that would be easy enough to make.

I don't know the history of this machine. We have a local indoor swapmeet and I bought the machine from one of the vendors there. My daughter told me the girl running the stall that day looked like she wanted to run away when I started talking about the machine. Apparently my enthusiasm gets out of hand sometimes.
I just hope her boss isn't mad at her for the price we set. I suspect it was less than they paid for it.
Rodney

*EDIT* CD you got your reply in while I was typing. The spinner knob is probably the way I'll go. Sometimes I make things more complicated than they need to be.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Or....you could put a wrap-around hand attachment on it like is on this one....but you’ll probably need the special bobbin winder that goes along with it.....and they’re kind of pricey...

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine552_24.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

I am SO hunting for one of those handcrank mounts..... awesome!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM

That's a great looking machine CD. Is it one of yours?
Rodney
Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Yes, it's my Singer 27K2 "Convertible" handcrank/treadle. The head lifts easily out of the treadle cabinet (no tools, just a tab to press) to use as a handcrank on a tabletop or elsewhere.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine552t_16.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Steve, I watched for one for nearly 8 years before finding this one in December 2013. I saw it on that auction site, and in a town about 60 miles from me. When I picked it up, the Sellers said that they had advertised it on Craig’s List for $100 for a while, but didn’t get any good bites at all. I’m not sure how I missed it, but I did. They had snagged it in a farm auction for the purpose of flipping it for a profit. I would be surprised if they gave as much as $50 for it. Probably less than $30.

It had a few damaged or missing parts that either I had or found on that auction site, so now it’s all original and working except for one drawer pull. I think I got a bargain on it, considering that it’s somewhat unusual being a Convertible. With the initial cost of the auction, then driving expense to go pick up the machine, plus the added parts that I had shipped to me, I only have about $300 invested in it.

It’s the go-to machine for my wife to continue quilt piecing when our power goes out, and she’s gotten to use it a couple of times already in the short time that we’ve had it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Sweet! So cool. My Pfaff R is the only convertible I have. It is actually from 1911, but since I do not have a "Victorian" convertible it stays till I find one. Then it's on the block...