Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just got a Kenmore machine, what do I need to know? >

Just got a Kenmore machine, what do I need to know?

Just got a Kenmore machine, what do I need to know?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Just got a Kenmore machine, what do I need to know?

I just came home from my uncle's memorial with an old Kenmore sewing machine. What do I need to know?

The cams for fancy stitches have been located, although I don't know if there's any extra feet with them, so that's something I'll need to find . . . . I haven't tested it yet but it seems quite clean.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Read the stickies on cleaning and oiling your machine and watch Muv's videos. Your machine is newer but the same advice is good for all machines. Use sewing machine oil or triflow(?) only. Other oils are too heavy and will gum up faster causing problems later.
I haven't been inside of those machines. If it has plastic gears don't oil them. Some plastics react with oil and can be damaged. If there's grease on them use a good light synthetic grease like triflow grease. If they don't have any grease on them leave them that way.
Those old Kenmores are good sturdy machines. I don't think it will need much more than a good cleaning for it to work well for you.
Rodney
Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Cedar, you just received one of the best Kenmore machines ever made: an 1802. These are absolutely fantastic stitchers, are extremely durable and powerful, and are rich in features. I'm a Kenmore fan (obviously) but this one is truly outstanding, so you are very fortunate. These machines aren't found for sale all the time because owners don't want to let go of them so take good care of it. I considered driving to Boise from Seattle just to buy one. Fortunately, I didn't have to as one finally became available in my area.

Do you have the manual and were any attachments included besides cams? I'm not sure but I believe all 1802 machines are super-high shank, a proprietary Kenmore feature. You can buy an adapter for low-shank feet, though and low-shank attachments are more commonly and cheaply found.

Give the machine a thorough oiling according to the manual. Listen for any strange noises (grinding, clicking, etc.). Go through the threading process and see how it stitches. Experiment with it. Have fun.

I'm jealous.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM

ooh! an 1802 nice. my condolences to you and your family. shes a keeper if you take care of her she'll last forever.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM

My condolences also. I love old Kenmores- they are very strong and reliable. I acquired one but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. I still use my mid-70's Kenmore. There are many accessories for them including monogrammers. You might be able to find a free manual for download at Sears.com, or I'm sure someone will share with you.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM

I have a Kenmore from around that time, but mine doesn't have the cams. It's a 1316. It has been a steady workhorse all these years and I have made hundreds of things on it. 1316 and does lovely straight stitch, zig zag and blind hem. I think it will do a stretch stitch, too, but I have sewed wovens almost exclusively. It has been a steady workhorse all these years and I have made hundreds of things on it.

~ Carla ~
Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Wow. I'm really excited now. I knew it was likely a solid old machine that could handle some layers but I didn't know it was such a respected model. I suspect it has been sitting indoors for 25 years. It was originally my Aunt Pat's and she died in the early 90s. It's possible my uncle used it since then, but there's no guarantee. I had no idea the model number. Now I can download the manual!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

put the foot pedal in a cut off jeans leg or something to keep it from scratching up the paint! Oh then do what Rodney said - clean it up - then USE IT!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:12 AM

Cedar, what is the complete model number, like 158.18023 or whatever? The number should be located on a metal plate on the machine. I have the 158.18023 and it is an extremely nice machine!!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 AM

I can't seem to find a model number. Do you know where I should look? All the plates I find just say Sears Kenmore.

Should I just plug it in and start it up and see how it stitches, or do I need to check something first because its been sitting for a long time.