Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Cari, I would say my hobby is self supporting. If you're making money and then spending it back on a machine or fabrics, I think that's great. How many people can say that about their hobbies?

On a good note: It's aliiiiive! The Pfaff lives! Quick someone hand me some fabric so I can pierce it with ultimate vintage Pfaff power and speed! Ahahahaha!

Now I am picking tape off yet another table trying to decide if it is in decent enough shape to re-finish without killing myself or whether I will paint it. Not robin's egg blue though.
Great about the Pfaff. I had a Pfaff 93 and hated it. Didn't have it too long. The card table went for half of the cost of the treadle so no fabric shopping but that's okay. It's not like I NEED any more fabric. Well, maybe.........

Cari
Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You're a busy girl Christy.
Rodney
Gotta make hay while the sun shines! I must've known time was short. Today I will have a sick grandchild all day so there'll be no tinker time.

Cari, I hope you posted pics of the new treadle! I am off to see if I can find it.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 AM

I got to service a Singer 329K machine for a friend that picked it up in an auction. It’s the first one of these that I’ve seen. I have a couple of Singer 327K, and three Singer 328K machines, and both models do zigzag. This 329K machine is straight stitch only, which kind of surprised me. Did they make the 329K before the other two, or did they later decide to make a SS machine in the three-twenty series?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails mvc-003s.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Gotta make hay while the sun shines! I must've known time was short. Today I will have a sick grandchild all day so there'll be no tinker time.

Cari, I hope you posted pics of the new treadle! I am off to see if I can find it.
Sick kidlets are no fun. No pics, I haven't even unloaded it from the car yet. After I picked it up I made a wrong turn and ended up taking a road trip so went to BFFs and didn't get home til late.

Cari
Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Damascus Grand rotary treadle, finally getting some attention. pitman arm was missing one ball bearing assy, so I made a bushing out of Delrin, and a couple nylon washers from the hdwe store. Then I need to find rubber ball to stick in its "anti-backerds" mechanism on the pulley guard. She has a new belt now.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Pictures please!
Rubber ball source:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-balls/=tr107l
I've bought various hardware from them a few times. Very friendly and helpful staff.
Rodney
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 AM

good thought Rodney, i use MC @ work. I'm gonna try the toy store first tho. Pics only work if i switch my phone to desktop made, which gets frustrating to enter txt.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:52 AM

CD That's interesting. I haven't seen a 329 before. I would guess it's like the 401 and 403 being zig-zag capable and then along comes the 404 straight stitch. It must've been the less expensive streamlined model for those that don't need any frills.

Yep, grandson is sick today. I'm staying indoors and trying to organize sewing supplies and machines and accessories. Now THAT'S a daunting task! I would much rather tinker than this!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:56 PM

I replaced the bed cushions on the Singer 27K2 Treadle Cabinet today. It’s the cushions that the machine head rest on when in the cabinet cutout. We noticed the other day when we were playing with the machine, that the front slide plate couldn’t open without tipping the machine back a bit. Originally, all four corners of the cut-out had a rubber washer (similar to the old faucet washers) with a single tack in the center to attach them. All four pads are still there, although the front ones are worn down to nearly nothing, and the round-head tacks are also worn down to flat-head tacks. To make the repair, I simply cut a couple of new pads from some 6-8 ounce tooling leather and attached them over the old pads/tacks with a single staple each from a staple gun. The staples aren’t very long, and it won’t take much to hold the leather pads in there. I used a small claw hammer to tap the staples in flush. I can always go back someday and replace the pads with more original washers, but I didn’t want to mess with pulling the tacks right now. I don’t want to split any of the old wood in the process.

This afternoon I fiddled with my heavy duty stitcher, my Adler 205-64 Handcrank. A friend of mine broke his big tow strap close to one end, so I sewed a new eye into the end to rebuild it. It’s the first real “project” with the Adler, and I’m pleased with how it sews. I really do need to get to work on rigging up a foot-operated presser foot lift though. I found a peddle for it, but need to locate a piece of pipe to run across under the toolbox to mount it on. It’s something that’s really needed to operate the machine for any length of time. The eye splice took quite a bit of sewing, and my arm was starting to feel the strain by the time I was finished. One full revolution per stitch makes for a lot of cranking, but the steering wheel spinner knob works just fine. I think it will be just fine for these kinds of repairs, but wouldn’t be adequate for any type of production with the machine.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails imag0056.jpg   imag0057.jpg   imag0062.jpg   imag0063.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 AM

Pulled a Singer 27 out of this steel tube type treadle base, and stuck in this nice (HEAVY)!model 223. Now I have reverse, zigzag and blind stitch. Like the model # too, just need to fill in a 222! [ATTACH=CONFIG]493483[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_20140927_230307695.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter