Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Instructions (and Courage) for Singer 301 Hook Disassembly

Need Instructions (and Courage) for Singer 301 Hook Disassembly

I just brought home a neglected Singer 301. The handwheel doesn't turn freely. I have successfully removed the needle that was stuck, but still can't move the handwheel very much at all. I think the next step would be to disassemble the hook and clean it out. I am apprehensive about doing that without instructions. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Dayle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I just brought home a neglected Singer 301. The handwheel doesn't turn freely. I have successfully removed the needle that was stuck, but still can't move the handwheel very much at all. I think the next step would be to disassemble the hook and clean it out. I am apprehensive about doing that without instructions. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Dayle

You need a 'Singer 301 service manual' http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-machines.html - that is only an instruction manual - There are some out there for sale though - it may be the same in that area as a FW It is also possible that the owner's manual would have how to take it apart - if so it can't be too hard.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

try singer301.com

It's really simple to take out the hook and clean it. Putting it back is a cinch too. Have you oiled it well?

Thank you all for suggestions. Singer301.com is interesting, but I can't find anything technical there. I do have the owner's manual, which gives a good diagram of the hook and shows where to oil, but says nothing about its removal. I have oiled, but to no avail. I guess I will remove the little screw that I see there and see what happens.

Dayle

Remove the two screws and out it comes.

Blog Entries
    I am happyp to read all these commetns about the 301 ,,, I just got one , runs like a purring kitten, but before I sew much on it I want to clean and oil ... don't have a manual yet, but one is on the way from a friend..... then I know it will be my favorite.....

Update on my 301 problem:
    After removing the hand wheel, we find that the shaft turns smoothly, needle bar moves fine, and so does the bobbin/hook. Today we will work on the hand wheel.
    My friend sent me a wonderful Youtube video with instructions for removing the "bobbin cup" from the hook assembly. I didn't need it this time, but since that area of the machine is the same as the Featherweight, I am sure I will need it for one machine or the other in the future.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Dayle

Blog Entries
    When I got my FW I could not turn the wheel. Then I discovered the bobbin mechanism was engaged. Once I released that it flew. Maybe yours has something simple too. Check it over before doing anything major. Sometimes it takes more than one look over to see things. I know that happens to me. LOL

Just be careful if you decide to remove the bobbin case. That screw is VERY tiny and easy to lose! Ask me how I know!

Pat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast