"New to me" Singer 201

Old 01-03-2015, 02:44 PM

Well, we ordered and received a new bobbin cover plate! That's the extent of the progress! The presser foot bar is still frozen -- I keep using oil/Tri-Flow and trying to move it every day, but so far, it's stuck solid! I just keep trying!

Jeanette
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM

oh yha!! me too....I just bought off CL, a pristine 201-2. Maple cabinet, has no damage
what so ever.....Just cleaned it and oiled it today....runs so smooth and quiet, I was amazed.
it came with a few black attachments...and 6 black bobbins.....I recall reading about them being black, but could anyone explain why? it seems machines are falling into my lap these past few weeks....friends
of mine, have called with other offers of machines for free to good home....Just have to go check em out soon.
Mish k in NJ
Old 01-03-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Well, we ordered and received a new bobbin cover plate! That's the extent of the progress! The presser foot bar is still frozen -- I keep using oil/Tri-Flow and trying to move it every day, but so far, it's stuck solid! I just keep trying!

Jeanette
Jeanette, where are you dripping oil?
On a lot of these machines, I take the adjustment screw (on the top of the machine) out completely and douse it in oil.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:35 PM

Tammi,

I've been putting oil everywhere, except on the gears. My son applied a little gentle heat on the presser bar, and it's loose and I've polished it and the entire mechanism until they're shinny and smooth! He's been helping me with it a little this evening, so we've gotten a little done -- not a whole lot - one step at a time! So, now, nothing's stuck on it! Hurrah! It has it's share of spider webs, which we've been cleaning out. Just when you think you've got them all, another shows up! Truthfully, it was the adjustment screw which was frozen -- it would not turn, and the lever wouldn't work, either. But, we have progress and I'm thrilled!

Jeanette
Old 01-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Since I stupidly forgot before, Tammi, Thank you so much for your tips! As far as the slide plate is concerned, yeah, we went ahead and bought a NEW one. There was one on ebay for $14, but frankly, it looked like crap. It was bent and deeply scratched -- just very unattractive! While I was sure I could polish up and eliminate the bad appearance to an extent, I didn't want to mess with one that was bent!

Thank you, very much. Your expertise and your kind assistance is greatly appreciated. If I can ever help you, I will be happy to have you call upon me. Problem is -- you're so much smarter about these old machines -- I'm still a rank amateur! Again, I appreciate your help!

Jeanette
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Hey Jeanette! You are very welcome! I have used a piece of leather and vice grips to encourage the adjustment screw in the past. If you're gentle you won't mar it. I'm glad you got it moving though!

Out of curiosity, does the plate match the throat plate, or is it like the ones for the 99/66 machines that fit but the finish is satin instead of chromed or nickel plated? For the difference in price, you made the right choice. If the other plate was maybe half or less, I might have considered it and tossed it in some evaporust to see what it would do. That said, sometimes it's nice to sew rather then fight with beat up parts.

I'm not smarter. I'm only a little further down the path. You'll be right along side me very soon, especially with your son helping you out too!
Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mish in NJ View Post
oh yha!! me too....I just bought off CL, a pristine 201-2. Maple cabinet, has no damage
what so ever.....Just cleaned it and oiled it today....runs so smooth and quiet, I was amazed.
it came with a few black attachments...and 6 black bobbins.....I recall reading about them being black, but could anyone explain why? it seems machines are falling into my lap these past few weeks....friends
of mine, have called with other offers of machines for free to good home....Just have to go check em out soon.
Mish k in NJ
Pictures please.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM

Tammi, we got an "original" but it's new, so it's more shinny that the needle plate, but that's okay. My son ordered the electrical terminal with the white switch, but he hasn't gotten around to doing the rewiring yet. I've cleaned up the presser bar completely (he removed it to make it easier) and cleaned up the needle bar. I've got some more cleaning to do, but the machine is in pristine condition for its age, and if I'd realized it was sitting in the garage, it would have been inside long ago. I have no idea how long it's been in the garage. Our garage was built when the house was built and does not allow for moisture or freezing in it. I still would not have left it in the humidity, though. I took the tension apart and cleaned the discs thoroughly. The take-up spring in the tension is broken, but that's a $1.00 item which Sew-Classic has in stock.

Mary, there's a picture of the machine on the first page of this thread! When I get it totally cleaned up, I'll post some "after" pictures! There's not too much left to do, but I've been working on a quilt top. My 87 year old aunt embroidered 50 blocks (state flower) and I determined when I found the blocks, I decided I would finish the top and get the quilt finished. My sister-in-law said "just throw that away", and I said not just "No" but "He__ No". I didn't have any instructions for finishing the thing -- so I put the blocks in alphabetical order by state name! It's not perfect, but her blocks weren't cut the best, and though I tried to square them up, they're still not as good as they should be. I still think it's going to be a pretty quilt!

Jeanette
Old 01-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Sounds like you're making great progress! I'd love to find a stash of new original parts. I considered learning to plate some of the slide plates and such so they'd look the same but I have way too may hobbies and projects waiting already.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 PM

Tammi, I know what you mean! I've got so much going -- I have an 87-year old aunt in a nursing home and I'm taking care of her stuff -- including laundry, fixing and cutting her hair, etc., plus I'm still working full time (or, rather, I'm still trying to work full time. I've been having back problems, to the extent that I'm about ready for a padded cell at the State Mental Hospital, plus making quilts and recently working on some old machines.) I've got a couple going for myself, including the 201, and a Minnesota Model A I've been working on for my cousin in Arkansas. I need to cut down on something, and I can't afford not to work! LOL! So it goes!

Jeanette