Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to QB - New Featherweight Owner >

New to QB - New Featherweight Owner

New to QB - New Featherweight Owner

Old 08-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Glad to have you aboard. Noticed some old lubricant in your collection. Please don't be tempted to use it. It is so old, it might not be good for your machine. We like Triflow lubricant from Sew-Classic.com. They have whatever you need to service your great new friend and ship quickly. Their prices are goodt and many at QBers use their products. Jennie will be glad to help you with your quest. I order all my maintenance things from them and have been very happy.
Also, noticed some of the bobbins aren't for your machine, but they won't fit. Otherwise, your attachments are really great. You did very well in amassing an impressive collection. Keep up the good work
Old 08-03-2014, 02:00 PM

I forgot to mention the FW bobbins are thinner than schedule 66 or 15 bobbins and they have round holes in the top and bottom. The solid bobbins are the ones, not for your machine. You can get FW bobbins from Ebay. I bought 100 and have been winding what seems like forever, so I don't have to stop in the middle and wind one, interrupting the piecing process. I got mine from MannySaler on Ebay and the price was reasonable. FW bobbins are metal and not plastic. Your solid bobbins look like schedule 66 and one looks like a 15. Jump in folks and help me here, as I can't make out exactly what she has for sure. Many of you are more experienced when it comes to bobbins. I do know there are bobbins that have the same configuration and appearance as FW bobbin that won't fit.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 08-03-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Welcome to the QB and vintage group, ApronandThimble. Congrats on getting a lovely FW.

I checked out your pictures and she seems to be in good shape. I certainly have seen some a lot worse. I own 5 FWs ranging from 1947-1958 so I'd like to make a few suggestions, if I may.

I have never used kerosene on any of my FWs or other vintage machines as well. It might be just fine but I've only used SMoil. A lot of us here use tri-flow oil. Others don't use it because it is a synthetic oil. You will have to be the judge. I would suggest viewing Muv's video on cleaning up vintage machines. You'll find it near the beginning of the Vintage page. She's cleaning up a much older machine but the principles are the same. There are some tutorials on cleaning up FWs on utube. That might help, too.

When I was looking at your pictures, I noticed that it looked like thread was wrapped around the finger on your bobbin case. Any thread needs to be removed carefully.

So, ask questions, post pictures, share your successes and failures. We'll encourage you and try to help you when you need it.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
I do know there are bobbins that have the same configuration and appearance as FW bobbin that won't fit.
I agree with Donna. Not all FW bobbins will work in the machines. New stuff is often pretty bad. My SIL bought some bobbins labeled FW at a well known box store and she thought she was having tension problems with her machine. She ask me to adjust the tension but when I changed the bobbin, everything was fine. It was the bobbin that was causing the yucky stitches. She threw out all the bobbins she had purchased and bought some from www.sew-classic. She hasn't had any problems with those.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips!

Yes, that tin was full of some random pieces and duplicates. Those old containers of lube and oil are fun for nostalgia, but I would not dare try to use them today. They are over 75 years old!!

I know that a few of the feet are duplicates too. but one is slightly larger than the other so it probably does not belong to my machine. I guess I will have to go get a 201 or 66 to go with the other bobbins I have, . I mean I can't just let them go to waste! (I know, it's a slippery slope isn't it. lol)

I know that I need to take great care with the thread wrapped around the bobbin finger. There is even thread coming out of the top although the machine is not threaded. I also know that I need a new belt from the snag that is on it. I am happy that the foot control, power cords, rubber feet, and decals are all in good shape.

Did anyone notice the cardboard under the motor? Should that be cause for concern? Was that just done for shipping or could it be disguising a problem?

I think that I will name her Dorothy. Both of my grandmothers were named Dorothy (although neither of them sewed.) Dorothy was the 8th most popular female baby name in 1938 and my machine was born 1 year before The Wizard of Oz was released on film.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bobquilts View Post
Kerosene is the safest way to clean her... NEVER use ANYTHING containing alcohol.
yes, I second this. Kerosene is safe especially on the decals. If I have my hand on kerosene I would rather use this on my machines than sewing machine oil for cleaning. And it will remove those oil gunk.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:25 AM

Congrats on your Featherweight.....she's a lot cleaner than I expected to see. Once she's up and running, you're going to love her!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 AM

Welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 AM

She is beautiful. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your new baby! More info can be found in the vintage machine section on here.