Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 05-09-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Anyway I am having fun cleaning it up and hope to have a good picture of the end result soon. I will attempt to send a picture or two today, but cant promise any thing.

The cabinet looks great! And all the drawer pulls are there!!
Tommie[/quote]

I agree that is a nice cabinet. I love the look of the drawer pulls-way cool! Thanks for sharing your photo of that pretty cabinet.

Kas 05-09-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Kas
Has anyone ever seen a 66 red eye with non metallic decals? I am getting very confused by my latest find. Her date is 1919 due to serial #G7175576. She has the back clamp feet (sort of rusty. How do I remove that?) And her decal under the badge is off center, so part of it is under the badge. The badge itself is sort of a copper color, not brass colored. Any input on this one?

Thats the legit decals and all!!! It looks really nice and that is a Western Electric type of motor popular for a do it yourself conversions offered by the dealers in mail order. Those motors are dangerous as all get out, I know from first hand experience! But it is a neat piece to have!

Billy

Did it zap ya or did your hair get caught in it? :lol: :lol: Yeah, the pics of other ones didn't look too safe. I still can't help wanting it! I did this one kind of backwards, too. I started with the chrome and finish before getting the gunk out of it. It really is pristine compared to Helen. Her pics are in the cleaning your machine tutorial.

kwendt 05-09-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Is there a website to go to to cross check the serial numbers on the machine? The shop I got it from said 1954, but I just wonder if that's correct.

I just checked on singer serial numbers off of the singer site. (google 'identify singer sewing machines by serial number'). There are other clickable links on the page, so drag your mouse around the page to find all the stuff. The final result gets you a list of which models were batched/alloted starting on what date.

kwendt 05-09-2011 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all my wonderful treadle friends...serious question for you...

I've been looking for a 201 either to treadle or electric. Also been looking for a treadle cabinet without a machine, to put one of my 127's in.

Here's something I ran across about an hour away from me. Current owner's great grandmother had it in Canada. Has moved around with the family for years. Last move about 15 years ago... was sitting in garage for about 10 years or so. Picture follows. The cabinet, is a parlor/drawing room style I've never seen. Drawers on the RIGHT, fold down leaf on LEFT, yet top opens too? Note that the irons are gone. Cabinet was 'converted to electric' by ggm and made to fit her 201 (pictured sitting on the top). According to current owner, the two panels that are unattached: 1 is the door that swings over the column of drawers, and the other is one of the side panels that has come loose. Glue has unstuck. Current own says that it dates to 1914. I suppose that the cabinet does, but that 201 doesn't.

Here are my questions. Can anyone identify this cabinet? Is it a singer cabinet? or is it a different manuf.? (I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if there are any manufacturers marks/labels left on it anywheres). I'm asking, CAUSE my next question is.... how hard would it be to find/source the irons and mechanisms to bring this back to treadle? Assuming of course, that the wood wasn't butchered in the orig. process.

Next set of questions. That 201 was alloted in 1948. It's not original to the cabinet, machine fits into cabinet now... but I don't know why the machine is shown sitting on top of the cabinet, instead of sitting in it. I'm told that the stitch length level/forward/reverse... will only work if you HOLD it in position while sewing. That the machine will not feed the cloth either forwards or backwards otherwise. ????? Easy fix? Or no? Should I pick this machine up as my 201?

old cabinet and 201 on site
[ATTACH=CONFIG]195079[/ATTACH]

Glenn 05-09-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi Nancy.... first off, I'm sorry for your little guy. I love all my animials and when they are not doing well, I do the same thing. Hold them, give a what comfort I can.... I hope things get resolved for him and you.

On those bobbin's... thank you. For some reason, I didn't think that 1 1/8" was 'long'. My thread tangles a bunch, so I was thinking that maybe the bobbins I had were not the correct ones. It could be the thread or tension. I'll work on the tensions and figure it out. I didn't ever check the S/N actually. lol. I know it's a 127, cause it's full sized, VS2, Sphinx, spoke wheel, but electrified, and has the bobbin ejector. The 27's didn't. So this has got to be the newer 127... It sews slowly... it's not lack of oil or grime, I think it may be the old wiring/pedal. I may just chuck the electric motor all together.

My 127 does not have the shuttle ejector. I didn't know that the 127 ever had a shuttle ejector? I just sewed the back pocket of a pair of wrangler jeans for my granddaughter back on with my 127 because her little Janome couldn't do the job! I love that 127 -- it is a work horse! Maybe, you should just toss the motor and put in in a treadle -- I love my 127 treadle!

Nancy

I have not been in the shop for a few days. My little blue chihuahua, Balto, died Saturday. We were not prepared for that -- he was such a sweet little guy and up until Friday he seemed so healthy! It is hard when you love them so much.

Nancy, I am so sorry for the loss of your Balto. We can get attached to these little ones. Glenn

Kathie S. 05-09-2011 03:31 PM

I was having problems with my 66. The fabric would gather but the tension looked good. I ordered a new foot. That solved the problem it sews wonderful. So far it is my favorite machine. Kathie

Glenn 05-09-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I was having problems with my 66. The fabric would gather but the tension looked good. I ordered a new foot. That solved the problem it sews wonderful. So far it is my favorite machine. Kathie

Kathie I always thought the 66 was the best machine singer ever made. Glenn

kwendt 05-09-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Kathie I always thought the 66 was the best machine singer ever made. Glenn

How cool is that. I just folded up my 66, in order to 'open' my 301 and 403. The 15 is still mid clean/rebuild. The 27's are back in the case. I wish I could have them all set up, all the time...and play! Thanks Kathie about bringing up the potential for the foot being an issue. Usually, when I have a problem with a machine, I think it's operator error first off.

Here's a thought.... on the older, straight stitch Singers, clones, treadles and such; has anyone done a check list of what things to 'check' first when there's a problem? Like a trouble shooting guide? That might be a good sort of document to have, especially for newbies to the old ladies. ???

kwendt 05-09-2011 04:10 PM

By the way, Glenn.... your refinishing tutorial is great. I relied on that, plus my eyes and past experience in taking down two cabinets and a sewing stool. One cabinet all I did was take the old finish off, re apply new finish. Nice. The other cabinet had what looked to be the scorch mark from a large PAN set on it. Ended up taking it down, lightly sanding the top vaneer and bleaching the stain lighter. Then sanding, then staining the whole piece an antique walnut, pretty dark... to blend it in. Bugger of a thing. But it worked.

Now I have that badly damaged trapazoid cabinet to deal with. Whoo hoo. This is time consuming but not all that hard. Thanks again!

MonkeeGirl 05-09-2011 04:12 PM

Just saw this on local craigs list. Anybody able to give info as to whether it would be a good buy? thanks

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/atq/2367141901.html