Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 03-21-2014 02:23 PM

Kenmore;

The White looks a lot like my Necchi machine.

Up North 03-21-2014 02:25 PM

I had the same case the Brother Machine has for my first machine in 1971!

oldsewnsew 03-21-2014 09:33 PM

Kenmore--
I had spotted a Black/White just awhile ago, could that be the same one? Anyway, I like it, alot! Must photograph better than it looks in reality, looks pretty nice to me. I also am drawn to old rotaries, and have a couple relatives of that Eldredge, cut light fixture on that!

KenmoreRulesAll 03-22-2014 03:19 AM

Hi, Chris -- A Necchi like a White? You have me intrigued!

KenmoreRulesAll 03-22-2014 03:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey, Jim --

To my knowledge, White made (or sold) very few black machines (and very few white ones) after their rotary days. There's the 628 (a great one), a couple of really nice G-Ks (I have a Kenmore version of the single-lever, pictured below), there's a black straight stitch (128, I think), and this one, a model whose number I don't know. The rust on this machine is mainly on the inside, but some of the exterior chrome is pitted. I don't think the machine is worth taking it all apart and soaking so I'll probably just get in there and brush with oil, a few drops of kerosene on the joints, etc. It does have a 1.3 amp motor though, so it kicks tail. Cleaned up, it looks OK and would make a nice display piece.

Eldredge rotaries are nice. There's a later model with a dark brown crinkle finish with more features, probably the late '30s early '40s. Also a New Home Greyhound that's bright green from the 1930s and a Free-Westinghouse that I've heard is really smooth and does a great stitch. All of those I want.

Here's the Kenmore I mentioned above:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468443[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468444[/ATTACH]

grant15clone 03-22-2014 04:23 AM

Wow. Neat machine with some unique features. Stout looking too. It reminds me of a lot of an Anker. Two upper tensions and a spoked handwheel too. What is the bulge near the foot lever for? I see a chrome bar that looks like it goes into it. Is it for the ZZ? I like this machine very much. Was it made in Germany by any chance?
Thanks for sharing.
~G~

KenmoreRulesAll 03-22-2014 05:44 AM

Hi, Grant --

Yes, it was made by Gritzner-Kayser and there are Gritzner, White, Domestic, and Kenmore versions of various flavors. (There may even be a Pfaff -- not sure, though.) The White version with 2 independent length control levers (one length in forward, another in reverse) on the front is my favorite version of this machine. It is stunning.

The circular back bulge that you noticed has a lever on its left which controls the needle position. I'm not exactly sure about the long bar that goes to the back (I don't have a manual) and I haven't spent much time with this machine. It's one of the quietest machines I own.

Rodney 03-23-2014 08:42 PM

I don't stop in on this thread very often. I should change that.
Ken you have a great eye for machines. I've never seen a Free-Westinghouse or a White like yours and that Kenmore is very nice looking too. Your photography isn't too shabby either.
Welcome aboard.
Rodney

Rodney 03-23-2014 08:46 PM

Sharon, I'm a little late but welcome aboard to you too. If you haven't solved the picture resizing problem yet I use a free download called Pixresizer when I need to. If you use photobucket you can do it there easily too.
Rodney

HelenAnn 03-24-2014 02:19 AM

Ken
Great question on photos. I haven't been able to post anything.
Helen Ann