Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

manicmike 07-11-2014 03:50 PM

Couple of nice oldies

I visited Amelia (Frudemoo) on Tuesday and she showed me an ad for two old machines. She'd recognised the Davis VF1 straight away but hadn't seen a fiddle base Singer with round bobbins: I recognised it straight away as an Improved Family, or 15-1, and we agreed to bid on it and if we won, to split the booty to have our desired machine. We won both for under $50! I'm hoping to pick them up today and take more pics.
Both are very exciting and very old machines, and I can't wait to see what's under all that dirt! I've wanted a 15-1 since Tammi told me about them a while ago.

SteveH 07-11-2014 03:53 PM

Woo Hoo!!!! Congrats. Awesome score!

KenmoreRulesAll 07-11-2014 04:13 PM

Wow, those are nice old machines! And BOTH for under $50 and you both got the machines you wanted? Serendipity! Are you going to leave them in stealth mode or will you apply decal sets to them? Congrats and keep us posted with pics!

manicmike 07-11-2014 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6796642)
Are you going to leave them in stealth mode or will you apply decal sets to them?

I think there might be decals under all that dirt, but haven't had any reply from the seller yet so we'll have to just wait for him. If the originals are underneath I'll try and uncover them. Nobody makes decal sets for fiddle base machines so I'd have to make the images up - something I'd like to avoid if possible.

jlhmnj 07-12-2014 12:41 PM

Great score. Looks like a boat shuttle and bobbin (see avatar) is needed for the Davis and tension discs for the 15-1. Can't go wrong at those prices.

Jon

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6796618)
I visited Amelia (Frudemoo) on Tuesday and she showed me an ad for two old machines. She'd recognised the Davis VF1 straight away but hadn't seen a fiddle base Singer with round bobbins: I recognised it straight away as an Improved Family, or 15-1, and we agreed to bid on it and if we won, to split the booty to have our desired machine. We won both for under $50! I'm hoping to pick them up today and take more pics.
Both are very exciting and very old machines, and I can't wait to see what's under all that dirt! I've wanted a 15-1 since Tammi told me about them a while ago.

wilburness 07-12-2014 05:51 PM

nice nice nice. love the fiddle base ones hand wheel and the singer emblem on the bottom. rnjoy

Glenn 07-15-2014 04:59 AM

Hi QB members. Does anyone live in or around Paducha, Ky? If you do please shoot me a PM. Thank you
Skip

crewsemj 07-16-2014 11:29 AM

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but read often. I have a question and hope someone can help answer it.

I have a vintage R H Macy sewing machine that has top clamp feet. my question is "is there a darning foot" for this machine? I really would like to FMQ with it if it is possible. Thank You for any info!!!

purplefiend 07-16-2014 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by crewsemj (Post 6804038)
It's been a long time since I've posted here, but read often. I have a question and hope someone can help answer it.

I have a vintage R H Macy sewing machine that has top clamp feet. my question is "is there a darning foot" for this machine? I really would like to FMQ with it if it is possible. Thank You for any info!!!

I wish there was a darning foot for the White Rotary....but alas there is no such thing. <heavy sigh>
Sharon

oldsewnsew 07-16-2014 01:27 PM

How bout an embroider hoop, no presser foot and watch your fingers??? Have you seen the FB page on Vintage Sewing Machines and Embroidery??? Pretty amazing. The other thing someone did here once was just found a coil spring that would fit end of presser bar? , maybe. Not sure